Saturday, January 31, 2009

WEEKEND OF 31 JANUARY 2009

Friday evening we were invited to Debbie and Mark Derry for a braai. This was really a get together of Meghan Derry’s friends: Lara Odendaal; Lara Swanepoel; Meghan; Amber Zeelie and Ally Giddy.
I bought some filet and braai rolls and we packed a few cold drinks. We had the braai on their front stoep. Hannes and Jacqui; Alex and Lynne; Jacques and Franelie the Derry’s and ourselves. It turned out to be a stunning evening out, Alex did all the braaing. Debby had made a few delicious home made breads and a salad. We did not stay late but enjoyed being there, chatting and watching our children’s interactions.

The following morning (Saturday) I drove to Linton Grange to run a 15kay race. I had been at a planning meeting for our marathon on Thursday evening. Bruce, Peter, Bradley and Paulette had been an inspiration to me to run a race. I receive these regular emails from Bruce telling me of upcoming events. I have not run a race since the Knysna half last year. However I have been doing some running in the mornings. During the December school holidays I was going down to the beach and doing a run and swim.

I arrived at the school for entry in plenty of time, entered the race, pinned my numbers to my now well worn running vest and lined up for the run. Going to a race like this is like a walk down memory lane. There are so many familiar and friendly faces. People greet each other with warm handshakes and often a little amazement at seeing one another still active in the sport.

We set off at 06.30 along Cape Road, past Macro and turned left under the freeway. We then turned right and did a loop before heading back up to Cape road. I ran with various people: Chris Jansen, Hennie, Camelis, Derek Hoshe, Dean and other chatty and friendly people. Geoff seemed to be in pain as I passed him walking I could see that his calf muscle was swollen. Leslie passed me looking strong. Jock was there supporting Liz and the rest of us Achilleans.

I did not plan to push myself but hoped to be able to run the whole way without stopping to walk. I kept a steady pace and as we approached the 5kay to go mark I realised that I still had plenty of energy so upped the pace slightly. I found myself pulling away from the bunch and passed a few people. Ernie Verral commented that we would finish in under 90 minutes. I don’t run with a watch as I used to find myself checking my time instead of enjoying the exercise. I was surprised to pass Theresa. The following day I saw Theresa at the beach and she commented that I should enjoy it while I can as my ability to pass her will be short lived.

In the final stages I ran alongside Elaine who is an Irish lady doing Volunteer Teaching in SA for two years. She assists at a variety of schools and will be returning home in two months. Malcolm Figg was as surprised to see me as I was to see him at a race. Danny Voster, who used to run with the MPRG many years ago has kept up his training and finished with me.

This was a great run for me. I had finished strongly and felt no aches or pains. And I was more than happy with a pace of under 6 minutes a Kay. I remember a young lady saying that the day she had to run at 6 minutes a kay she would give up running. I certainly will not give up the running even if I cannot maintain any particular pace. I loved the people and the exercise and hope to take part in many more races this season.

I had to be at work and left soon after I finished.

Saturday afternoon I had determined to complete my Income Tax forms. I logged onto Efiling and after a lot of stress and worry finally managed to complete and submit my forms on line. I then tried to do Barbara’s Mill Park Play School efiling and this turned out to be even more stressful. Finally I gave up as we were expecting Charles and Ingrid for supper and bridge. Ally had been at a Gala and returned having had a successful day. Ally won the 100m butterfly as the only 11 year old girl to take part she also beat some of the boys. She did really well in the 200m freestyle as well as the other events that she took part in.

For supper I made what Charles later referred to as Potato Pizza’s. Baked potato with a variety of toppings: Bacon, spinach, mushrooms and cheese. I made a simple salad and this made a wholesome supper. Barbara put the bridge table outside and we sat under the stars playing. We had not played bridge for many months but it did not take us long to get back into the swing of the game.

Sunday morning I again tried to do MPPS efiling but still had no success. Ally was the drummer in the youth music group at church. Jonathan gave a report back on his trip to the Willow Creek church. Bronwyn was the speaker and her sermon revolved around the way that James describes Jesus’ preaching in the synagogue and how the people listening were amazed.

We had decided to go to Nippers and then to the Biathle at Happy Valley. Neither were easy as the Herald cycle closed off the road and we ended up with walking from Second avenue to Happy Valley. Ally did very well and won her race. I had three other adults with me and came fourth. This was our first Biathle of the season. We headed back to Nippers where I was able to greet the people there, pay off some debt and order a chafe vest. Today the Herald cycle tour was on and we had a bit of trouble getting to both Nippers and the Biathle.

No comments:

Post a Comment