Saturday, May 1, 2021

April 2021. Gqeberha. Port Elizabeth. Hikes; Walks; Tours; Peter Giddy Guided Tours

 

April 2021.   Gqeberha.  Port Elizabeth.   Hikes; Walks; Tours; Peter Giddy Guided Tours

Ally and I are at Bergvenster near to Hankey

Thursday 1st April 2021

Strangely I experience no April Fools pranks today.   Start the day at 5.00am.   Walk 4k with Baubie Richards.    Pick up Hospital Staff;   Run 12k at the Beach Front;  Meet -- Sallie Baisley; Katherine V D Walt;  Melanie;  Adri and mother Jean;  Julian;  Ian and Gail Andrews;  Eckhardt Schumann; Lee Collier finished her swim;   If you walk or run on the PE Promenade, you are bound to meet up with people you know. 

Friday 2nd.   Easter Friday.   I have 30 hikers with me on the Bergrivier and 15 on the Bergvenster hiking trails.  It takes the whole day. Back home after 4pm.   A great outing with Ally for company.  The hikers have a wonderful experience as most of them have not done either of the two hikes before.   

Ally Selfie on the top of the Bergvenster hiking trail. 
Lady Slipper.  We all made it to the summit of this tough climb. 

Meanwhile.   Nicky runs a 56km from Durbanville to Hout bay.  Most of the way with Natalie.  But she has pain and needs to stretch.  Werner is a good support for her.  Nicky finishes strongly.  

The outline of Nicky's 56km run. 
Natalie and Nicky on the road to Hout Bay. 
Natalie and Nicky meet up at Hout Bay.  This shows a picture of health and satisfaction for a solid morning of running.   Well done to both of them.  
In New Zealand -- Cathy has an Easter Egg Hunt with Blake and friends. 

April 2021. Tom is now 9 years old.   This pic was taken when he was 5 years old.   The ritual of counting the number of years plus one.   
In Israel it is Tom's 9th Birthday.  The tradition is to seat him on a chair and pummel him up and down while counting out the years.  They add one year for good luck.   Here is Gili; Yurom, Michael and friends at Jacqui's house for his birthday party. 
Saturday 3rd.   I am at home all day.  I have had a week of hectic on my feet exercise and need a day of rest.  
Sunday 4th April 2021.    Lady Slipper hiking trail with Ateline and her family.   Also in the group are Ally;  Loes; Gillian and Seelan.  A tough day for some of the group.   Everyone made it to the peak of the Slipper.   And we took the Red route down so a tough day all round.   This evening I have no pick ups so am able to light a fire for a Braai.  
Ally leads the group up to the peak of the Lady slipper (Van Stadensberg) mountain.  
Sunday evening.  For once I do not have any pickups for the Hospital so we light a fire for our braai this evening.  
Monday 5th April.   Easter Monday.   Soft rain falling all night and this morning.   
Tuesday 6th April.   A gentle rain continues to fall.   I walk our 4km with BR;  Hospital Pick ups; Run a 10k partly with Eckart Shumann;  Do a Road Worthy;  Do some vehicle licences;  try to Generate some Touring  and some vehicle licence business.
Cottage Pie for Tuesday supper. 
Wednesday 7th April.   Start the day with our 4km BR walk.   Hospital pickups.   Then I do the Wednesday walk at Lovemore Heights.   There are 36 of us on this hike:  Robin; Di and Jimmy; Susan borrows my jacket;  Judy and Charlotte join Jurgen for the extra forest walk;  Iva;  Jan and wife; Andre; Alwyn; Dave; Dave and Naomi;  Dave and Heather; Dennis; Philippa;  Debbie; Pat; Anna Marie;  Ian;  Flo;  Leslie; Steve and Friend and Grand daughter Paige; Jim, Eugene;  Keith and Mike;  
A worn out tree on the trail.
Paige finds a Butterfly
Jurgen in the Secret Forest.  We had a little trouble finding this pathway. 
Erica in abundance
Ground Cover flower
Albany Candelabra
Thursday 8th.   I spoke to Nicky on Wednesday about her training schedule and advised that 15k is a good training distance for during the week.  At least one or two a week leading up to Comrades which is her goal.   So this morning after my 4km walk with BR;  My hospital pick ups,  I run from Hobie beach.  Along the promenade; onto the Polock beach and then on the Marine drive past the Golf Course and left to Pine Lodge and the Penguin Sanctuary.  Turn around there and back to Summerstrand for a U turn to do the beach run again, back to Hobie beach and a bit beyond which eventually gives me 15km distance for the morning.   
I have signed up for Mystery Shopper evaluations.   Today I do my first for this company IpSos.  It is a bit of work doing a verbal; picture and written online survey of a Filling Station.  
Pic from the Pier.  Low tide reveals a bit of beach that you would not normally think existed. 

I am now a Mystery Shopper.  Doing retail evaluations.  Mystery Shopper stuff.   Stencil.  Coki.   60 x Cooler Bags.   11 x congratulations;  11 x Coolant Vouchers;  11 x  Engine Oil Vouchers;  11 x Blank Certificates.   I have been given 11 x Filling Stations to evaluate.  And today I do my first.   There is a long list of stuff I have to ask.  My Cell Phone recorder must be on.  Take pics of everything;  Ask all kinds of questions and check for a variety of defects physical and from the attendant.   

Friday 9th April.    Start the morning with a 5km walk with Vanessa and BR.   It is the first time that Vanessa walks with us.   And our first time to walk 5km.   So after 3 weeks we have moved from Zero for Baubie.  4km walks to 5km at a reasonably brisk pace.   We park at Hobie Beach and walk towards Kings Beach and back.  We have to add a bit on towards Something Good to make up the additional distance. 
After my Hospital pick ups I run a 5km on the promenade and then do some Vehicle Licences.   This afternoon I do three evaluations.   There is a strict list of what to do and how to do it.  I must make a voice recording of the visit from the time that I arrive to the time I leave.   Take pictures and report on the petrol attendant and the facilities.   Complete an on line questionnaire.  Attach Pics. And do an overall voice evaluation.  
Saturday 10th April. 
I have a group of 30 for Fernkloof trail in Groendal.   A huge success.  
Rob and Peter;  Pat and Ronel;  Janny; Gillian and Seelan;  Sally and Debbie;  Gerhard and Linda;  Chris; Aletheia and Carin;  Brittany;  Brenda; Vicky; Ronel and Hayley;  Candi; Nick; Morgan and Dayle;  Ayanda and Chris;  Loretta and Babalo;   Adel;  Ingrid; Belinda and Sandra;  
Sunday 11th.   Myrun and then start the Evaluations.  I do one in PE and two in J bay and then another in PE.   That takes me the whole day.  

Thank you for joining us at myrun Humewood Golf Club today.

Your time for completing the 5 km is 00:28:27 with an average pace of 5:41 min/km.

Finishing Myrun at Humewood Golf Course.   
Monday 12th.   Start the day with a 5k walk with BR. Then Hospital pickups.  Then 5k run along the promenade.  More evaluations to be done.    By 5.30pm I complete the batch of evaluations which were allocated to me.   Hospital Pick ups and then Cell group tonight.  Esther.  With Claudine; Cronje; Loes; Bobby;  Rob and I bring one of the Nurses from St Georges to the group....  Innocentia /  Xoliswa 
Tuesday 13th.     Walking 5km with BR;  Hospital pick ups;  Working on new business -- Vehicle licences;  Transport, tours and Evaluations.  5km walk at Grassroof with Tracey; Her friend;  Aletheia; Carin; Sally K and Sally P.   Hospital pick ups 
Wednesday 14th.  Walking 5km with BR;  Hospital Pick ups;  Hiking from Alan Drive (Badminton Courts) to Dodds Farm and back.  With --Peter G and  Peter J;  Iva;  Pat and Margie;  Karin and Sumene;  Anna Marie VD;  Susan;  Dave;  Andre;  Alwyn;  Julian;  Keith;  Dennis;  Marty;  Pat;  Fiona;  Debbie;  Russell;  Richie and Paul;  Jane;  Patrick and Denise;  Di and Jimmy;  Jacqui VD W.  
4 x Licence renewals;  Airport Pick up.  Hospital Pick ups.  Back home 7.30pm.   
Thursday 15th.   Hospital pick ups.   13k Beach front run.   To harbour wall.  Met Chagne who is ex Erica Jnr & Westering High.  Pharmacist.  Met Janny to conclude the Namibia Tour promotion.   Licencing of vehicles.   
Friday 16th.   Hospital pick ups;  Pick up with Ally -- 9 students for Sacramento Walk with Kate North.  Meet Janny for Namibia planning;   11km beach run including 3 x harbour wall and back.   Vehicle Licences stuff.   
I have recently started to run to the Harbour wall as a change from running to the Beacon.  
Plough Snails on a Portuguese Man o' War.  Blue Bottle. 

Saturday 17th.    Hospital pick ups;   Van Stadens Flower reserve trails..... River walk;  Boulder trail; linking trail and Forest walk.   About 9km of tough trails.   
Entrance to the Wildflower Reserve
Van Stadens Nature Reserve
The Boulder trail can be a bit tough
Rocky trails makes this a substantial walk
We are a colourful group of 25 hikers
A triumphant team of walkers reached the top of the last hill. 
Sugarbush Protea
Sugarbush Protea
Sugarbush Protea

Sunday 18th.   After the Hospital Pick ups I run the 5km Myrun.  It is their second Birthday and Bertus arranges for two huge cakes.  Amazingly the cakes are almost completely finished.   Just some of the remains are given to local staff at the golf course.  
I will have to work a little harder to beat 27.30
Had a good run this morning.  
Thank you for joining us at myrun Humewood Golf Club today.
Your time for completing the 5 km is 00:28:02 with an average pace of 5:36 min/km.

You now have completed 24 myrun events. Well done! 

Nicky spends a night in a Shack at Paternoster.  Single room with shared kitchen and shared bathrooms.  Right on the sea front.  Quite unique.  
The husband of Queen Elizabeth of England dies.   This is the queen at the funeral of Prince Philip.
Blake buys himself a Magic Kit from his pocket money. 
Nicky and Werner spend a night at Paternoster.  Stay in a rustic single room shack on the sea front. 

Nicky receives this encouraging note from Christian's Tutor. 
Morning. Let's just look at the bright side, Niki.  You never thought , when he was 6 years  old, that he would now be in matric, did you?  And he coped very well last year. I have a total  different  person here from the little boy who started with me middle gr 8. Christian  also told me a great truth the other day: He said other kids memorise the work much quicker, BUT he studies  it and he believes  he will be able  to have a conversation  about what he has learnt when he is 60 years  old. Is that not precious? And yes: He does not study parrot-wise.  He really understands his work  whenever  he has finished  studying! That  makes him more knowledgeable  and has more valuable  in real life.  
The part you have to play now  is possibly to figure out a constructive year for him in 2022. REAL life only  begins after matric . Matric is not the end, it is the  beginning . One can so easily  just say: Hooray! We've made it. The idea of a gap year, doing nothing , will soon turn into frustration. From here, I believe, Chris should enter for a course at an institution  where  he can study  for a career or work to get practical knowledge in some field....open up the world to him.  🌷💐🌷

Monday 19th April.   Walking 4k with BR at 5.15am.  Cool windy morning after a hot still day on Sunday.   Hospital pick ups.  Continuous rain all day.  So I spend the day on the couch.  Doing admin and trying to promote tours.   Cell group this evening.  We finish Esther.  An interesting read.  At Cell this evening: Clauding and Cronje;  Sue and Gary;  Rob; Christine; Bobby; Loes and myself.  
Tuesday 20th April.   Walking 5km with BR.   A chilly east wind is blowing.   We take 54 minutes for our walk which is our best time so far.   After my Hospital pick ups I run a 5k.  A bit unsettling as the beach is messier than I have ever seen.  The two days of wind has blown every conceivable bit of trash onto the beach.  
Tuesday afternoon;   Ally and I run the Grassroof 5k.  We meet up with Aletheia; Carin;  Sally K and Sally P.  They walk.   
Ally running the hills of Grassroof
Ally and myself at Grassroof.  
Wednesday 21st.  Walk 5km with BR;   Hospital pick ups;  5k run -- Meet Robyn and Andre Steyn who I have not seen for ages.   Ally and I go to Uitenhage (Kariega) to renew her driving licence which had been stolen earlier this year.   She gets a Temp licence and an application for a licence.  The whole process goes smoothly as she had a booking for the Eye Test.    
Thursday 22nd:   15k run after Hospital pick ups.   I run from Shark Rock Pier to Kings Beach. To the Harbour wall three times.  I meet:  Bill;  Sallie and Louise;  Richard and Jen; Beth and Gay.    I run through the Kings Beach parking lot which is a huge area.  Driving instructors use this area to teach learner drivers.   And the two novices had managed to crash in the parking lot.   Beth calls it "Meeting by accident". 
Uniform Treasureflower
Tile Sorrel   -- Oxalis.  
Kings beach parking lot.  Two learner drivers have an Accidental encounter . 
On the Thursday 22nd morning run I find this shell,   Identified as Scallops.   
This afternoon I take Paul Lynch 1983 Porche 944 Left hand drive to roadworthy.  Quite fun driving this vehicle.
Friday 23rd.   5k with BR;   Hospital pick ups;  10k run Harbour wall a few times.   I see these small jelly fish (Medusa) covered with Plough Snails.  A treat for them I suppose.   And I meet up with Ian and Gail. Ian points out Pieter Devilliers to me.  
Purple Jelly fish
Peter Devilliers.   Ex Springbok Rugby coach:  2008 to 2011.  His side won against the All Blacks in Dunedin   Successful in 2008 and 2009 with a Tri Nations win and a British Lions test series win.   2010 and 2011 went downhill for Peter with no real successes.     
Saturday 24th April 2021.   
Kabeljous Hiking trail.   The drive to Kabeljous is  a little under an hour.   We meet at the Nature Reserve and start hiking at 9.00am.   The hike takes us from the start eastwards to the view point.   We then walk towards the sea before turning right to the Intersection.  Then we turn left again to the east and cross what should be the wetlands but is presently completely dried up.  We walk onto the beach and past the Cairn.   We spot some Dolphins just past the waves.   Back onto the trail and up the dunes to our short break.   We then walk down to the Bushbuck Bridge which has lost its sign and appears to have been vandalised.   Along the lagoon side pathway except that the Lagoon is pretty much dried up.   We hike into the Euphorbia Forest (River Naboom) and back to the Kabeljous River to the Cars.   
We end the hike with Tea and Pancakes at the Suikerbossie.  Unfortunately the service is not up to speed and the chilly wind makes the end of the outing a bit of a damp squib.   
A wonderful group on the Kabeljous trail.   Leoni. Leoni, Lameg  Faye, Ritva, Gay,  Brittany,  Janny,  Brenda,  Ludivine,  Debbie,  Sally,  Ayanda & Chris,  Hayley, Vanessa, Cheryl,  Ayanda. Lungi & Vuyo,  Lenel & Lynette, Marelise, Nico,  Marko,  Divan & Adriaan,  Jeanne and Glynette.  I hope I did not forget anyone
A dried up lagoon
Pathway through the Euphorbia Forest
Glynette and Jeanne
Glynette
View across to J Bay
Dune view site
Boer Boon Tree tunnel
Dune steps. 
Porcupine bridge over a dry vlei
Entrance sign with explanations
A stick Grasshopper.  Lenel; Lynette and Faye   Silent Slant faced grasshopper
Ayanda and Ayanda enjoy this little insect     SILENT SLANTFACED GRASSHOPPER
The stick grasshopper   Silent slant faced grasshopper.  
The Bushbuck Bridge with only a trickle of water
Euphorbia -- River Naboom
Euphorbia in flower
Our stop after the hike is at the Suikerbossie
Vanessa and Vuyo
Marelise and boys -- Adriaan; Marko her son;  and Divan.  Framesby boys
Building on the Cairn
Chris;  Sally and Ayanda
Crossing the Porcupine bridge with Lungi; Leoni; Leoni and Vuyo
Ayanda selfie with Ayanda; Vuyo and Chris
Anomalipus Beetle.     A Darkling Beetle.  
Anomalipus Beetle       Darkling beetle.   
This evening a few of the hikers walk the Sunset / Moonlight walk at Cape Recife.   I am busy with Hospital Pickups so do not join them but they invite me for a glass of wine at Chery Snodgrass house after the hike.  
Sunday morning. 25.4.2021.    I run my 25th Myrun.   I do the first lap alone and then the second lap with Ally.       This week -- 50km training runs and 27km deliberate walking / hiking.   Meanwhile Nicky does 80km running as training for her Comrades in June.   
My time for completing the 5 km is 00:27:34 with an average pace of 5:30 min/km.   Ally had a good time with 30minutes at 6 min a kay and overall 8th position of 57 participants.
Ally and I run the 5km Myrun on Sunday at Humewood Golf Course
Sunday 25th Afternoon.   River Mile.   Small event.   Only 30 women and 50 men swimming .   No children's events.  No spectators allowed.   I meet up with a couple of men who I recognise.  But no names I remember.   The men's event starts at 14.00.   The event is normally held in February and I am a little apprehensive about the water temperature.  But when we get into the water I realise no need to worry.  The top of the water is warm and as you dip your arm in to swim, the water is cool.   But not cold.   I swim a steady pace,  veering from side to side as my goggles mist up and I can hardly see where I am going.  I love the swim.  Not at all tired at the end.  But then I did not push myself at all.  
Another River Mile done.   I was apprehensive about swimming.  My last swim was in Bloemfontein at the Sprint Triathlon.   But no worries.  I jumped in the water and while the water was warm on the surface there was a little chill about half a meter down.   I loved this swim.   Steady at my own pace.  My goggles become fogged up so I often have to stop and assess where I am.   We have a strong current pushing us from behind.   I am an event person.   I would never swim that distance if it was not an event.  2020
2020 River Mile results
150 / 200 Peter Giddy Achilles  69 M 8/13: 65-99 26:46.3
2021 River Mile results 
.47 50   Peter Giddy Achilles.   70  M  2 / 5   65-99  24.59

Monday 26th April --  Walk 5km with BR;  Hospital pick ups;   Run 6km.  Meet up with Maryna Baard who I last saw a good few years ago doing a hike with Graham Richards and his group at the Harkerville.  
Tuesday 27th April .   Freedom Day.  Public Holiday in SA and Kings Day in the Netherlands.   We walk the Sacramento Trail.  Low tide.  To try to find the Anchors of the Sacramento.   
A huge group of nearly 50 boys, girls, Men and Women.  Young and Old.   Beautiful to see everyone having fun. 
We finally found the Anchors for ourselves. 
There are two Anchors of the Sacramento Wreck.  
I am feeling so good.   Standing on the Shaft of an Anchor. 

Wednesday 28th April .    Start the day walking with BR.  We do our best time yet for the 5km walk .   Just under 53 minutes.    Big improvement on our time of 6 weeks ago.   Hospital Pick ups.  Then walk with the Wednesday walkers.   Dennis;  Jan and Leone;  Margie and Pat;  Dave;  Dave and Naomi;  Marjorie;  Richie;  Jurgen;  Errol and Mo;  Julian;  Russell;  Sally;  Debbie;  Ian;  Lucy;  Cecelia and Kaydan;  
We walk the Grysbok trail behind the University.   See some Zebra and someone say a Grysbok.   
Later I visit Brian Dixon to talk about the Namaqualand Tour.   And I do some Vehicle Licence stuff.   Ally and I run a 5k around Grey.   More pick ups.   
Thursday 29th April.  

Friday 30th April 2021.  
Walking with BR.   She has, in the past 6 weeks, walked a bit over 100km.   From nothing since March 2020.   I do my last Hospital Pick ups.  The contract is now finished.  
I meet and pick up 5 x American ladies from the PE Airport.   I take them to Schoenmakerskop,  Retha's trail and the Penguins before their transfer to Kariega Game Reserve near to Kenton on Sea.  
Annabell in Israel 13th Birthday Party.   With a group of her friends.  Cathy in NZ takes Blake and pals to the local carnival.   
Hiking in the Grysbok Reserve with Wednesday walkers.  Dennis;  Jan and Leone;  Margie and Pat;  Dave;  Dave and Naomi;  Marjorie;  Richie;  Jurgen;  Errol and Mo;  Julian;  Russell;  Sally;  Debbie;  Ian;  Lucy;  Cecelia and Kaydan;  
Annabell's friends create an album for her
Lovely memories captured in this album
Annabell's 13th Birthday Cake
Party with Annabell's friends on the Stoep in Israel
Blake and friends at the Aukland Carnival

BR .   Our last walk for April 2021.  We would start walking at 5.30am and do 5km in about 54 minutes on average.   This month we walked on 15 occasions.   
I pick up 5 x American ladies and take them to Retha's trail at Schoenmakerskop.   Domica; Nancy; Danuah;  Sheri and Rose.  They are staying in JHB as their husbands all work at the American Embassy.   They are on a Girls Weekend at Kariega Game Reserve.   


Peter Giddy's hiking and tours group..... To enjoy the outdoors and to discover and explore places you have never seen or experienced.  Meet people and make new friends.  I understand that not everyone is at the same level of fitness and ability.   So I accommodate everyone but providing hikes to suite the individual.   No one is left behind.   

SA Guided Tours and Peter Giddy Guided Tours -- Shore Excursions -- Addo Elephant and other Wildlife Reserves -- Garden Route.  Flowers of Namaqualand -- 

0027 (0) 82 55 03 714    Whatsup
peter.giddy@gmail.com
Addo Elephant Park Day Visit and Night drive. 

  • Kragga Kamma Wildlife Reserve
  • Daniel Cheetah Project
  • Pumba; Shamwari; Amakhala; Kariega -- Day trips Private Reserves.
  • Three day tour of Mountain Zebra Park. Graaff Reinet, Nieu Bethesda and Addo. 
  • City Historical and Cultural Tours, 
  • Horse riding for both experienced and inexperienced riders
  • Hikes and Walks around Port Elizabeth (2 hour Nature and Coastal walks)
  • Garden Route Adventure Tours (Zip Lines; Segway  in the Forest; Adventure Quad Biking; Bridge Walks; Bungy Jump; Knysna Elephant Park; Monkey Land and Birds of Eden; Big Cats Sanctuary; Oudtshoorn Cango Caves and Ostrich farms)
  • Shore Excursions from Passengers ships
  • Transfers. Airport; Hotel and Wildlife Reserve.
  • Flowers of Namaqualand.  Seven days of adventure and exploring places and sights you never even knew existed.  History and natural beauty of the South West of South Africa
  • Karoo to Garden Route. Six days of fun and activities.  Prince Albert; Swartberg Pass; Die Hell; Oudtshoorn; Prince Alfred pass; Plett and Tsitsikamma. 

Website --   petergiddyguidedtours.wordpress.com

For tours and bookings.. email me at.    peter.giddy@gmail.com
Contact me on Whatsup....  0027 082 550 3174
Annabelle knits blanket Squares showing her family. 
Emily in Black and White
In Cape Town:   Fires across the Table Mountain and at the University.  University buildings including the Library burn down.   


A RUNNERS STORY.   Quite emotional.   Inspiring.  Simply a Runners story.  

This remarkable running story is by Karl Higgins, a Californian, who set out to run at least one marathon on the seven continents. His seventh was the Buffs in East London. I got in touch with him by e-mail and he agreed to write an article for my free monthly newsletter the K. But it is more than the story of a rare marathon feat. This is about friendship, and the camaraderie of the running fraternity.
FINDING THE MAGIC SEVENTH HEAVEN
Karl Higgins: how I achieved my 10-year quest
It is 5:28AM. I stand in knee -high grass. There are 650 of us 42.2km from East London, South Africa. The gentle beginning of a sunrise paints the horizon.
Bruce Springsteen’s Born To Run is blasting out of speakers along the starting line of the 38th Buffalo Road Runners marathon. This is my last continent in a 10-year quest to join the Seven Continents Club.
Boston [and many others] in North America; Melbourne, Australia, Oceania; Paris, Europe; Antarctica; Patagonia’s Fin Del Mundo in S. America, the Great Wall, China, Asia, and now Africa.
I will join a small club whose members are runners with a marathon down on each continent. The finality of the goal brings a lump to my throat. In my grasp is something only 217 people in a world of seven billion have accomplished. I will be number 218. The gravity is so overwhelming that I feel compelled to take a pee in the darkness.
The final Old Mutual Buffs marathon is underway. Like a herd of wildebeest, we are headed in a great migration. The shouts and whoops at the start quickly give way to each individual quest. And soon all is quiet except for the sound of 1 300 rubber–soled feet striking asphalt and deep breaths pushing in and out of lungs.
Getting to East London is not simple, cheap, or quick. Two days of flying - San Diego to Washington DC, then Dakar, Senegal, to Jo’burg and finally, East London.
My accommodation deposited me at the charming seaside town of Gonubie, 10 minutes from East London. What a beach and bay it has on the Indian Ocean. I had booked a room at Amanda’s B&B.
I walked upstairs to a room with sliding doors along its entire wall fronting the ocean. The place was immaculate. Breakfast was cooked to order and Amanda played soft jazz or piano melodies on the stereo…. sublime.
The Buffs clubhouse is where everyone knows your name and an empty glass is a sign of weakness and character failure. It didn’t take long for word to spread that ‘the American’ had arrived.
My money was no good at Buffs. We laughed, slapped each other’s backs with stories and jokes: I understood only half because of accents. But the beer was cold, the company warm and welcoming.
A truck calls at my B&B at 4:30 next morning. New pals give me a ride to the start. The sun is well up. We are four miles down the road and our first hill greets us.
I wrote the names of 26 family and friends on my arms. It is a cherished lesson a runner from Portland, Oregon shared with me in China. The idea is to focus on one person for each mile. And so I do.
At 26km I reach a long hill. Half way up I feel light headed. My pace slows and I walk the rest of the ascent. Sweat is rolling down. Some names on my arms have been washed off. I reach the top of the hill and resume my pace.
At 28km I am tired, abnormally so. I shuffle down a long hill and into a residential section of the city. At an aid station a woman with a Sprite in her hand asks if I need sugar. I gulp two swallows. Are you OK? Yeah, I’m going to be OK I’ll finish.’ Are you sure? Good Lord. is it that bad? ‘You look a little wobbly….’ No, I’m OK…I’ll make it.
Another aid station at 36km. Hey, they are folding it up — no. wait, they give me coke and water. I break the water bag and douse my head. Cool, wet relief pours over my sunburned noggin and gives me temporary reprieve.
I’m well past five hours on the road. There is a climb resembling Telegraph Hill. San Francisco. The race director said there was a ‘little sting at the end’. This is no sting, but full on bite on the butt A man runs up and asks if I am doing Buffs. Well, no, the Buffs is pretty much doing me, but I answer yes and he pours half a two litre bottle of ice cold water on my head.. “You’re almost there, keep going”
I see the 40k mark. The last aid is packing up. A woman offers me coke and water bags. Around a corner, down a hill, right turn and I’m into Buffalo Park. There’s a long grade to the club. I look at my watch: 5:59….ugh. Being sick the two weeks before the race might have something to do with my pitiful time, plus the heat and jet lag
. I’m on to the grass of the club. The race announcer calls my name, saying here’s our American friend, .and I hold up seven fingers above my head. A huge, but tired smile cracks my lips. I run again. The crowd claps and a wind hits me. It’s warm but so welcome. It lifts my spirits. I hear the announcer telling the seven continents story.
I raise my hands even higher —.seven fingers proudly pointing to the sky, and my Lord. Tears stream down, pure tears of joy, hard fought, well earned: .A lump forms in my throat and I hit the finish line. I click my watch, 6:01 .and I stop and kneel, just beyond the finish.
Thank you Lord. Thank you for being with me today. Thank you for your love and grace. Today was not my best day, but today was your day. I make the sign of the cross, stand and let out a long, loud YES. Many people are clapping me on the back.
Where have you been they ask? Oh, I took the long route, it’s more scenic. And we laugh, like only runners who have struggled and finished know. A woman places a medal around my neck. It is heavy and big. I hug her, .and she exclaims: “Oh my….well good for you.”
A cold beer is thrust into my hand. It’s a Castle. I take a good, long pull. This may be the best beer in my life. The celebration begins. Buffs give me a nice salute during the medal presentations with a club mug and a hearty cheer for coming to their marathon. I’m honoured.
I’m back at Amanda’s and I notice my finisher’s medal is gold. That’s not what a runner deep in the back of the pack is entitled to. A warm glow fills my heart and I smile. Grace comes in many forms and the Buffs are generous. I lay down with the medal in my hand It is 2pm. I will not wake until midnight. Deep, restoring sleep feels wonderful.
I eat a sandwich and sleep again. Life is good. So, what does one do after completing the Seven Continents? How about driving into the African bush and looking for wild animals? Yes, and with the help of new friends Gary and Anne Marie, we hit Mpongo for a game drive.
Later we met marathon friends, Patric and his family, and neighbour Peter and his wife, Ric, Fanie and others for a braai. I didn’t know a soul when I touched down in South Africa. and now we are having a great bbq like old friends. People could not have been more hospitable.
AND SO IT ENDS
The quest for a marathon on the seven continents is fulfilled. Thousands of miles have been logged in training. I travelled 90,000 miles to get to the marathons by air, ice-breaker and car. Dozens of pairs of shoes have been worn out. The price tag was the cost of a mid-sized new car, but spread out over 10 years it wasn’t too bad.
It was exhilarating, the adventure of a lifetime. I hope I gave more than I received from those I met along the journey. So permit me to offer commentary about what I learned by running around the world.
When I first started I thought it was all about the marathons, .I could not have been more wrong. It’s really about the people, places and adventure itself. If you seek the good in the world, you’ll be overwhelmed with it. Return it.
Running is a blessing. It preserves sanity and peace where too often life is the opposite. Health is a treasured gift. Nurture it. Live your dreams, boldly. Encourage others to do the same. If you’re visiting someone else’s nation, be a gracious guest. You’re an ambassador from a nation that most people admire.
My good wife is a princess for letting me explore the world and fulfill my goal. God is great, and you’ll find him throughout this little blue planet we all call home.
You, Margie Saunders, Terry Thornton and 29 others
18 comments
Like
Comment

18 comments







No comments:

Post a Comment