Sunday, May 22, 2016

TIM WOODS --- BORN 3 NOVEMBER 1948 - DIED 10 MAY 2016

TIM MARTYN WOODS 
Born 3 November 1948
Died 10 May 2016  Age 48 of a stroke.

TIM WOODS.  MY COUSIN: SON OF PUCK AND MARTYN WOODS WHO WERE FARMERS IN MOOI RIVER. BROTHER TO JUDY EMMANUEL. HUSBAND TO DORA;  FATHER TO JULIE AND ZOE. FATHER IN LAW TO GARETH. GRANDFATHER TO KEAGAN AND TAI.

 HAPPY FAMILY MAN
 BORN 3 NOVEMBER 1948
 IMPORTANT PART OF HIS LIFE WAS HIS INVOLVEMENT IN GRANDCHILDRENS ACTIVITIES.


 TIM WOODS FUNERAL. PUGH FAMILY -- KEAGAN; GARETH; JUDY EMMANUEL; FINELLA; TAI; JULIE; DORA WOODS AND FINELLI.
 JULIE AND JUDY
JUDY; KEAGAN; FINELLA; JUDY; TAI; DORA; FINELLI AND ZOE.


 KEAGAN AND TIM AT SCHOOL
 TIM AND KEAGAN AT GOLF
 DORA AND TIM AT WIMPY.
 
TIM; JULIE AND DORA -- HAPPY DAYS - STRONG FAMILY.
Sunday 15th May 2016.  Fetch Judy from the airport and drop her off at Tim Woods house.  Meet cousin Dora; Julie and Gareth. Tim died this week.  So sad that I had not taken time to look him up. He had been living in PE for some time.  Funeral Sunday afternoon.  This afternoon I also meet Dora's sister, Feanella and daughter Feanelli.  And Julie;s sister, Zoe who also lives in a back flat with Julie and Gareth.  Feanella owns a Pre-school in Jhb; Julie is a teacher at Glen Hurd. They have two boys, Tai at Glen Hurd and Keagan at Alex. Gareth is a civil engineer. Zoe is an accountant.  It seems that Tim was a good friend to Gareth and a real part of the lives of his two grandsons.
 
JULIE PUGH WROTE AND PRESENTED THIS EULOGY.

Today we celebrate my dads life.
My dad was born in Irene Hospital in Pretoria. He grew up in Mooi River with his sister Judy, mom Puck and Father Martyn.

He loved horse riding and polo cross. He went to Treverton and Michael-house and was extremely well educated. He went on to study at the University of Natal and wanted to be a teacher. He taught at various schools. In 1973 he taught at Estcourt High. From 1974 -1976 he went to Ashley Junior Primary. We laughed because my first teaching post was at Ashley too. I was definitely following in my fathers foot steps.

He worked in the prisons department from 1976-1978 and he met my mom during this time because she was currently working as a house mother for Browns School. They got married about 3 months later and have been married happily for 39 years.

In 1978 my dad started working at Browns school for special needs children. He worked as an educator, became Head of Department, Deputy Principal and Acting Principal until 2011. Then my dad retired and in July 2012 my parents moved to Port Elizabeth to be with us.

How he loved the school and the staff. He had a beautiful voice and he was madeAnnouncer, Master of ceremonies, and announced at many galas, sports days, speech days and at th Annual Browns School fetes. He ran the busses and made sure that children were collected and dropped off on time at various drop off points.

He loved working at Browns. He always said that if you could find a job that you love then it does not feel like work everyday.

My dad was the greatest teacher I have ever known. He was the pillar of strength in our family.

He was loving and kind to everyone he came into contact with. He truly loved us with all of his heart. He gave us everything he had and asked for nothing in return. He was a generous man who gave us everything we ever needed and more.

When he went to the shops he would ask the tellers their names and then greet them by their names every time he went shopping. He cared about everyone and saw them as equals.  It did not matter if the person he met was a street sweeper or even the president of a country, he would treat them with equal respect.

Because my dad was a teacher he was at home early in the afternoons and we got to spend a lot of time together. He would play cricket with me in the garden, we would play tennis in the courtyard. He taught us how to play chess and we would play card games for hours.

He brought us up to believe in ourselves and believe in others. He expected us to always give of our best. He stood by us with every decision we ever made without question.

He was a happy man and loved to laugh.  He always saw the good in any situation.  With him the glass was always half full.

He guided us and protected us and taught us what true love is.  To love someone unconditionally. He may not always like something you had done, but he always loved us.

He was my go to person. Any advice or anything I was unsure of, he had all the answers and was right every time.

He loved music, he loved life and he loved his family with every inch of his being.

I could not have asked for a better father than him.

He raised us on a single teachers salary, so that my mom could stay at home and care for us,  for that I am truly grateful. He even did extra lessons in the afternoons and on weekends to get us through school and give us what we needed.

When I finished matric my dad asked the question. So what do you want to do? I want to be a teacher. He advised me not to because although he said he loved it so much, he did not want to see me struggle financially. So he advised me to take a gap year. So I did and worked at so many different companies from waitressing to dressing up as a clown to catering. So much experience was gained that year. Then he asked me at the end of that year. My answer had not changed. I want to be a teacher. No he said. Take another gap, year. So I did and more experience was gained through various jobs. Finally he asked again. So what do you want to do? I want to be a teacher I said. He laughed and said well if that's what you really want I will back you up 100%. Which he did and I don't regret a day.

I love my dad with all your heart.

When he taught me how to play chess, he would take off half the pieces and play with a handicap. He taught me so well that he refused to play me when he could no longer beat me.  We had not played in years.

I was the only girl in my school who, could play chess. My dad would say: great you show those boys what you are made of my darling.

My dad taught me to be me and not worry about what others may think of you. He said that was their problem, not yours.

He taught me what it takes to take care of a family and love them unconditionally. He loved my mom with all his heart and showed us what the tried head of a house should be like.

He taught us not to judge others and that we should remain positive in any situation.

He loved my mother with all of his being. They were inseparable from each other. He loved making her happy and seeing her smile would make his day that much more special.

Wow we are going to miss him so much. The void is going to be huge. He loved Keagan and Tai so much. He was there for all of their sports functions, he helped lift them home form school.  He would help Keags with his maths home work. My dads favourite subject. He would listen to Tai's orals. He was their number one supporter and fan. He was there for them whenever they needed him. They are blessed to have had such a great man in their lives.

My dad was a true gentleman and he would open the car door for you. He would give up his seat for you.

Funnily my dad never liked funerals, but I guess no-one really does. He always said that people must celebrate the life that someone has lived and tell them all the good things about them while they are here.

As a family I am sure that we have and will continue to build each other up every single day.

When my dad me Gareth for the first time. He called me into his room and said: Jules that's the guy you are going to marry. I had only just met him and thought my dad was crazy. Three and a half years later when Gareth asked my dad for his blessing to marry me, my dad said well it's about time.

My dad loved Gareth as if he were his own son and they would have a lot of very special moments together including a chat in the morning before work everyday.

My dad is going to be sorely missed, but today we are going to celebrate his life.

He would say:

Live each day as if it were your last.
Live without regrets.
The past is gone, the future isn't promised, but today is your present.
So live it to the full.
He would say live in the moment because life is all about special moments.
 Enjoy the sunrise and the sunset.
Enjoy your family.
Love each other .
Do not judge.
Always smile and always be friendly.
What you send out, you will receive.

Love you Dad.

We know that you are at peace and we know that you will always be with us.

Heaven just got another special angel
And when we look into the sky, the sky has gained another shining star.

I know that you are shining down on us.

We will miss you so much dad.

Until we meet again.

Love you dad xxx


EULOGY WRITTEN AND PRESENTED BY ZOE WOODS AT THE MEMORIAL TO TIM WOODS

Today is the day we celebrate the life of my Dad. My Dad was a Rock to so many. The man I call my hero.
My dad meant so many things to so many people. For me my dad was my mentor, my best friend, my saving grace on earth.
He has made me into the woman I am today. I am proud to call myself his daughter.
My dad loved the analogy of the Phoenix rising from the ashes. I feel that although we may be burnt up, feeling broken by my dad's passing, we will rise from this and be stronger from this.
My dad can no longer be my guardian angel on earth; now he is my guardian angel in heaven.
To my dad; forever and always I love you.
Zoe.

EULOGY WRITTEN AND READ BY FEANELLI (NIECE TO TIM WOODS) 

It is with a very heavy heart that I stand here today to bid a final farewell to my Uncle Tim.  We all incredibly shocked and saddened by your  sudden passing and how you left a huge void in our lives. and even more so in that of Aunty Dora. Julie, Zoe, Garreth, Keagan and Tai. I know how much you all loved him and what an important role he played in each of your lives.

I was very fortunate to have my Aunt and Uncle come and visit me towards the end of last year (2015). I am so pleased we were able to spend quality time together. And this is when I got to learn so much about my uncle Tim. We used to sit up till early hours of the morning, Chatting away. And I am so glad I was afforded this opportunity to bond with him the way I did. I would like to share a couple of things about him that I remember.

Uncle Tim was an incredibly gentle man with a very kind heart. He had such a kind nature with the aura that surrounded him at all times. He most certainly had a very unique outlook on life and he approached any situation in a very calm manner, trying to find solutions that benefitted everyone. My uncle did not have a harmful bone in his body. He never lost his temper and in fact I don't think that he ever raised his voice. He was sincere in all his actions and was appreciative of all the small things in life. When you engaged in conversation with him he was all eyes and ears participating in conversation genuinely cared about what you had to say. And paid attention to all details. He was highly educated and he was like a book of knowledge, and was fascinating to hear how well versed he was in all topics. I certainly valued his opinion and learned so much from him.

He had a wicked sense of humour and such an infectious smile. I cant ever remember seeing uncle Tim without a smile on his face. He treated everyone he met with utmost respect taking time to find out their name and how they are. And hope they have a lovely day further.
He saw everyone as equal in his eyes. Uncle Tim loved life and lived life to the fullest and was always happy. He had an absolute passion and did what he loved and that was teaching.  He poured his heart and soul into this. And even when he spoke of his days of teaching his face lit up.  He went over and above to assist any child that was in need and got so involved to ensure he pushed his kids to ensure they achieved their best.

He saw potential in all of his students and was determined that he did everything in his power to assist them to achieve their goals. From tutoring his pupils to extra mural activities and ensuring his pupils got on the right busses. He was so involved and dedicated his life to the teaching profession.

My Uncle lived for his family and loved them with every inch of his being. They were his absolute pride and joy. And was incredibly proud of them. He was an incredibly compassionate and generous father that ensured that he provided for his families at all times. He would forgo anything to ensure that they had everything.  He was so actively involved in their everyday lives, and did everything as a unit.

It is not often one comes across such a close knit family. But I can certainly say it was something to see. And all families could take a page out of this book as their family unity was quite something unique. He never stopped showing how much you all meant to him.

Aunty Dora you were his life companion, his partner, his best friend, his wife, the mother of your children. He loved you dearly.  I never saw Aunty Dora with out Uncle Tim. You did everything together. He valued your opinion, he never did anything without discussing it with you. Your guys made and incredible team and were happily married for 39 years. You two supported each other through thick and thin and the love you two shared was quite something.

Jules, you were the apple of your dad's eye. You were like two peas in a pod. He truly admired you for the beautiful woman you have become. He thought you were the greatest mom and loved the unique qualities you possess.

He loved your kind ways, your gentle spirit, your willingness to help others and your passion for what you did best and that was teaching. He was incredibly grateful for the way you included him in your life and how dearly you loved him.    You two shared a bond that nobody could describe or even understand.  The two of you were inseparable and he loved everything about you.

Zoe, your dad admired your strength love and loyalty that you have showed to your family at all times. He was very proud of you and loved you dearly and always honoured all of your opinions and suggestions.

Keags and Tai;  Papa Tim absolutely idolised the two of you. He was so proud of you, always boasting on all achievements from school awards to sports and scouts. He loved being involved in your daily lives. And you were the sunshine in his life. Thank you for showing such love toward him and keep making him so proud.

Goodbyes are not forever
Goodbyes are not the end
They simply mean I will miss you
Until we meet again.

Uncle Tim  -- Rest in peace and we love you dearly

TIM RETIRED IN ABOUT 2011 AND MOVED TO PORT ELIZABETH WHERE HE STAYED WITH HIS TWO DAUGHTERS - JULIE AND ZOE -- IN A FLAT NEXT TO THE SWIMPOOL.
 
The Memorial Service was held at the Lighthouse Church in Newton Park Port Elizabeth on Sunday 15th May 2016.
 
Amazing Grace
 
Amazing Grace how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost but now am found
Was blind but now I see.
 
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed
 
Through many dangers, toil and snares
I have already come
'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far
And grace will lead me home
 
When we've been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Then when we first believed.
 
PUGH FAMILY.

COUSINS -- JULIE AND JUDY
 
 Julie remembers her DAD on Facebook:
To my dad in heaven: I miss you everyday. I hold you in my heart forever. All the lessons you have taught me are with me forever and for always. I hope to pass them on to my precious boys. You were a great man. You showed us strength and sacrificed so much for us so that we never went without. You were an inspiration to many. Your wisdom and kind words were a joy to hear. I am blessed to have had so many wonderful years with you. You are missed everyday. You live in me and I hope I can make you proud. I love you with all my heart. You were the best dad I could have ever wished to have had. I love you with all my heart. Thank you for all you did for us. Love and miss you dad 💕 love jules xxx
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment