Friday, December 16, 2005

SUMMER SERIES TRIATHLON DECEMBER 2005.

TRIATHLON ----Summer series ---
FRIDAY 16TH DECEMBER 2005.

The 16th December is a Public Holiday in South Africa. It used to be called Dingaans Day and is now known as “the Day Of Reconciliation”. This triathlon started at Happy Valley. It was designed to meet the needs of those who did not feel like a long event as well as those who were prepared to be out there for a little longer. The shorter event (sprint distance) was a swim out on the Humewood beach to buoys past the pylons and back (About 500m), then there were three circuits of up La Roche drive and left at Strandfontein road, down second avenue and then back to the transition (each lap is about 6kays). The final part of the triathlon was a run to Summerstrand lifesaving club and back (5kays).

The longer distance (Three-Quarter) consisted of two laps of the swim (1000m), five laps of the cycle (30kays) and a run that went out to the Summerstrand Inn and back (7.5kays).

At the start I saw Achilleans: Davera & Michael; Greg, Bradley, Shane, Lizelle and Pat. I think that they are all entered for next years Ironman. The conditions were perfect this morning. A number of my fellow Achilleans had not started the last Triathlon because of poor conditions. Also at the start were Rob and Jenny Connacher, Warren Collier, Hannes Zeelie and his sons were doing the event as a relay, David (Chokka) Enslin, Rod the pro triathlete now turned pastor from America, Ian (Ultra Ironman) Ross, Rob Ermes, Colin McAll, Paul Wolf and many others. Triathlon in PE seems to have grown in popularity recently. Probably as a result of the Ironman event of 2005.

For myself I really enjoyed the swim. There was a light West wind that flattened the surf and I was able to swim Crawl the whole time. My main problem is that I am so very slow compared to the others. I came out of the water the first time with two or three swimmers behind me but they were doing the sprint distance so I ended up being the very last out of the water. Also I seem to get lost out there and have to adjust every now and then to head back in the right direction. My right arm is stronger than my left so I tend to be heading towards my left-hand side. I am not sure why, but I felt like the water was noisy today. I was aware of every splash of my swim strokes. It was a really great swim. There was a lot of red seaweed on the shore but that did not bother us at all. Most of the athletes use wet suites but the water was warm and unless speed was a concern, there was no real need for a wetsuit. I find that Goggles really help and I think that it is compulsory to wear a swim-cap. By the time I finished the swim there was a lone spectator; Barbara had faithfully waited for me on the beach.

Then there was the cycle. Going up La Roche Drive is a bit of a slog but it is a reasonably short hill and although it was into the wind, the route was fairly sheltered. Strandfontein and Second Avenue were great with the wind mainly behind. The last section along Marine Drive was into the wind. Each time I passed over the Happy Valley Bridge I would glance over to the left and see how the bike area was filling up until the last lap when there was hardly another bike on the road. I knew that I had been last out of the water (Mainly because there was only one bike left in the transition area) and so when I was on my fifth lap I was able to tell the Marshals that they could pack up and go home.

The run started off under the Marine Drive Bridge and up on to Katie’s Walk. There was a whole lot of activity along the walkway including the preparations for the opening of the season festivities on the Saturday Night. At the section near to the Summerstrand Beach a new walkway is in the process of being built and this looks like it is going to be a really popular walkway for those who enjoy the beach walks and runs. At the lifesaving Club we turned right towards Marine Drive and then headed out to the Summerstrand Inn. I had been passing a whole lot of runners (going in the opposite direction) who I know, and envied them on their way home. As I approached the turn I was able to overtake two ladies and realised that with a bit of effort I would be able to catch Brian Saunders (Also a long time Achillean) who has won (if I am correct) the Achilles Marathon when it was still being held at the Big Tree. Brian had heart surgery some years ago and has to watch his heart rate very carefully.

I ended the race with a time of around 2hrs 20. I was quite happy to have been there and completed this event. Triathlons of this distance are like half marathons. A couple of hours of exercise and I was able to be at work a little later. They may be a little fussy because of the preparation and the bicycle but add something different to just running.

Peter Giddy
16 December 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment