Sunday, December 11, 2005

BLUEWATERBAY 15KAY AND SUMMER SERIES TRIATHLON DECEMBER 2005.

Weekend 10 & 11 December 2005.
Bluewaterbay 15kay and first of the Summer Series Triathlon.

On Friday evening we were due to have a get together at the church to “rehearse” our Nativity Play. The Perks group had asked our group to be part of the play but as it turned out it was only Charles and ourselves who could help. The rehearsal turned out to be a costume selection evening as we assured Robin that we knew our lines and what we were to do. Mike and Barbie were away and we actually had absolutely no idea of what we had to do. It will be interesting to see how the scene progresses next week.

On Saturday morning Tim & I drove to Bluewaterbay and were incredibly lucky with our parking as we so often are. We registered for the run and then did our short warm up run. I was very pleased to have had the time for warming up as my left knee was giving me a bit of trouble. It hurts on the outside especially as I bend the foot inwards and when running downhill. The race started on time at 07.00 and the first section takes us down the Tippers creek hill and I felt the knee. But then got chatting to Rob from East London, Colin Mc Call and others and soon was in a good stride.

I picked up the pace after about 5 or 6 kays as the knee warmed up and after that I did not feel it again. I ran with a variety of people from then and began the second half feeling quite good. The route is first past the old Bluewaterbay suburb next to the Zwartkops River and then wanders through the newer part of the suburb where I had never been before. I was really impressed with the size of the houses. This has become an upmarket area to live it seems. Then we ran back past the Bluewaterbay lifesaving club and then the last kay took us up the Tippers Creek hill and back to the Primary School.

Tim did the race in 1:18 and I finished in 1:22. I was quite satisfied. As usual we had a coke and left. I had to be at work as it was our sales month end and Tim was due to go do stuff with Suzanne.

At work we completed the documentation and finalised the sales month end and I was able to be home by 15.00. Our region had done well and I was keen to see how we fared against the other regions on Monday morning. At Ally’s request we had ourselves a Macaroni Cheese supper. I like to make this dish with grilled porkers as well as vegetables. In this was I am able to get Ally to eat the Veggies.

Tim and I had arranged to meet at Hobie beach for the Triathlon at about 07.00 and despite the fact that the West wind was blowing quite strongly we entered the race. We saw Pat and Ian Thomson there as well as Davera and Mike Magson. It seemed that neither of them was keen to enter the race. The weather had put them off. The swim was a two lap event out past the pier. Right turn, past the Buoys and back to the beach. It was my ambition to not be lapped by the front swimmers and I managed to get out the first time before they had rounded the buoy. As I was swimming the second lap I was convinced that I was last in the water. But I was wrong. I think that there were about 2 or three swimmers behind me. Then it was out on the bike.

Barbara had timed my two laps of swimming. I think that she said that I took about 7mins for the first and 9 mins for the second lap. Plus I took about 3 mins for the transition. The wind was great at first as it pushed us to the “University Turn”. But then it was like riding up Brikkies. I was in the easiest gear and hardly moving forward. Rob Ermes passed me as did the Summies Triathlon lady and one other man. I was able to pass a young lady and so had two ladies behind me when I turned at Noordhoek. Whew! What a relief. The wind was now behind us and we flew back to Flat Rock where we again had the wind in our faces but not to the same extent. In the last Kay I had seen David (Chokka) Emslie pushing his bike. He had a flat tyre and pushed back to the transition.

We ran out towards the Summerstrand Lifesaving club but as the path was under construction, had to cut short. At this stage I saw that Tim was way ahead of me as were Warren Collier and Colin Mc Call. Then we turned back in to the wind again, past the transition and out towards McArthur Baths. I passed Rob and so now had Rob, David and the two ladies behind me. We turned for the last time and ran home. Tim met me for the final stretch and we managed to out sprint David in the final few meters. I think he let me beat him. My time for the 20 kay cycle had been about 53 mins and for the 5 kay run about 25 mins.

I had not seen the last lady on the run so she could not have passed the transition. I decided to go look for her and to help her with the last few kays of running. As I met up with her she said how thirsty she was. I knew that there had been no water left on the run so I fetched my bike water bottle and was able to give her some water as we ran. Another man also joined us. He had a 2 lit Coke and a cup. So between the two of us we made sure that she was well hydrated and that she finished the run with company. As we finished I saw the people gathering together to cheer her on so we allowed her to enjoy the moment.

At the end of an event I normally pack up and go almost immediately, but as I had assisted the last finisher I was still packing the bike away when the lucky Dips were being called and I was the winner of a R100 Guidos meal voucher. Just shows you how when you least expect it, you get rewarded for being nice! So Barbara, Ally and I went home, had a wash and then had lunch at Guidos in Lorraine. What a pleasure as I was starved and we did not have to cook our lunch.

And that was about our weekend. The wind continued to blow for the rest of Sunday and we stayed indoors for most of the afternoon.

Peter Giddy
11. December 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment