Saturday, March 20, 2021

Triathlon. SA National Tri champs in Maselpoort Bloemfontein. Sprint event. Saturday 20th March 2021

 

Triathlon.   SA National Tri champs in Maselpoort Bloemfontein.  Sprint event.  Saturday 20th March 2021


I heard of this event about 6 weeks prior to the event.   Nicky has a running group and one of the group had been selected to represent Western Province.   So I followed up on this and managed to get myself selected for the 70+ age group representing Eastern Province (Nelson Mandela Bay triathlon assn).   

I have spent the past 5 weeks training cycling and swimming.   The last time I had ridden my bike was at the Herald 50k in Feb 2020.   And I have not swum since C19 hit the scene.  The Newton park pool had been closed and I was just not into the swimming.   

I have probably cycled 10 x 20+ kms and swum about 10 x between 300 to 1500m both in the pool and at Hobie beach.   My running has been pretty much consistent.   So I felt that I was ready for this triathlon.   

Friday 19th March 2021.   Ally and I pack up the Combi with tent; stretchers; bedding and our gear.    I had made a camp booking for Maselpoort; Bloemfontein, where the event was to be held.   We leave PE at 5.00am and take the N2 to Nanaga where we turn left onto the N10.   We drive past Patterson and the infamous Olifantskop pass.   I call it infamous as this is the place of many motor accidents and various incidents including a protest action on Thursday 18th where the entire N10 had been closed as tyres and vehicles had been set alight and blocked the road.   This morning however is without incident for us.   We continue on the N10 past Golden Valley and Cookhouse to Cradock.   We leave Cradock and at Middelberg we take the N9.   All this time we have been passing the Manganese Ore trucks which have off loaded their cargo and are heading back to the North west to pick up the next load.   

We are now in the Northern Cape Province where we pass Middelberg and through the Carlton pass to Noupoort (Naaupoort) towards the N1 at Colesberg where the Gariep Dam is situated.    We do not see the dam but we do cross the Orange River into the Free State.   From Colesberg there is not much to see for the next 200km to Bloemfontein.   The road is crowded with Trucks and Cars and we have to be vigilant all the time.   

In Bloemfontein we refuel and take the Nelson Mandela off ramp and find our way to Maselpoort.   We check in and quickly set up our tent.   We have a camp site with our own kitchenette and bathroom.   No electric appliances but there is a power point and hot water.   

Ally and I head back to the shopping center in Bloem where we purchase something for our supper and Ally needs some medication.   Then back at the tent we are soon relaxing and catching up with emails and other communications.   I meet Daniel Kirsten who is the PE Team manager.   He has a son competing.   Daniel has done the registration and gives me my race number which I attach to the bike and a timing ankle bracelet. 

Saturday 20th March 2021.   Both Ally and I were cold in the night.   We had left the Tent "Windows" open and the cold wind made the tent quite chilly.   However we were in bed early and had  a good night sleep.   I ready myself and the bike and at 7am I walk to the Bike Check in where I rack the bike and set up my stuff for the event.   

Our event is the 40+ age group for the Spring triathlon.   We swim one circular lap of 750m in the river.  Cycle out on the road two laps of 10k each to make up the 20k cycle.  And the run is a three lap within the camping area.   

At 8.25am the men get into the river and almost immediately the hooter sounds for the start.   I swim as steadily as I am able.   I tend to wander around and this is no exception.   I find myself completely off track a couple of times and then find the ladies charging past me as they had started 5 minutes after us.  A kind lifeguard on a Malibu keeps me company making sure I dont drown.    I may not be last out of the water but pretty much at the back of the field.   

I exit the water after the swim,  Put on my old cycling shoes; helmet; gloves and push the bike to the Mount Line.   Now only do I realise that there is a strong wind blowing.   The bike is a two lap on the tar road.   There are no big hills to climb so I am able to maintain a steady pace;   I am of course being lapped by both men and women as they compete their second lap I am still on my first.   

No trouble to me -- I ride as hard as I am able and keep going until I have done my two laps and cycle back to the Transition.   I dismount and run the bike to the Racking area.   Take off the helmet and cycling shoes.   Ally is a great supporter and keeps encouraging me.   Daniel, the team manager, is there taking pics.   And I hear my old friend Alec Riddle whose son Jamie is a champion Triathlete, Calling my name and he too takes a pic which he later posts on Facebook.   

So I start the run.   I think that there is just one athlete behind me at this stage.   Ally later tells me that the only lady 70+ was just ahead of me on the run.   I never catch her. The run is in the camping area and is a three lap track.   My first lap is not easy as I try to get some kind of rhythm.   The next two laps are easier and I find myself picking  up the pace.  Ally and Daniel are great supporters.   I also recognise Nicky's friend Louise Boltman who, unknowingly, has been the reason for my taking part today.  

I have enjoyed the event.   Glad to be finished,  weary and exhilarated.  

My times I find out later:

Swim 23 Minutes

Cycle 55 Minutes

Run 30 Minutes. 

Total time 1H.49Min

I am the only male 70+ and so win my age group (Gold Medal)

Ally and I walk straight back to the tent and quickly take it down and pack everything into the car.   As we are doing this we hear crashes of thunder.   Within seconds of us packing the car, heavy rainfall.   We are so lucky to have timed it to perfection otherwise we would have all wet kit in the car.   I shower and Ally makes us a hot beverage before we get going.   It takes us for ever to leave Bloem,   The town is looking shoddy and unkept.   Grass growing on the verges and centers of the road.   Huge potholes and unrepaired roads make for a neglected appearance to the city.   

Once we are on the N1 south towards Colesberg we maintain a steady pace and are able to get into PE, refuel the vehicle and unpack our stuff before night fall.   From the time I finished the event at 10.15am to the time we arrive at the house at 6.30pm -- just over 8 hours has passed.   The total distance from Maselpoort is just over 700km.   And we have had 3 stops on the way.   

Ally and I just before the start of the SA National Spring Triathlon at Maselpoort; Bloemfontein;  Saturday 20th March 2021
We unpack and assemble the tent
Ally gets the process going .   This is our Private kitchen / bathroom.  No appliances but a great addition to the camp site. 
We are soon all set for a good night rest
The kitchen and bathroom allocated to us.  
Maselpoort resort is the venue for the Triathlon SA Champs
Fortunately I am able to store the bike in the bathroom this evening.  
Saturday morning.    The Maselpoort River where the swim takes place
The triathlon starts and ends here.  The transition area.  
I exit the river swim (750m) one lap.   A strange swim as I constantly got lost and headed off in the wrong direction.   Also you are not able to see into the murky water.   I found myself either in the middle of the river off course for the buoys which are small and not easy to see.   Or next to the bank and getting caught up in branches and bushes. 
I set off on the bike.   We ride uphill out of the resort and then ride two laps on the approach road.   Not 100% flat but no serious hills either.    There is a strong wind blowing but this is mainly to the side and so does not slow us down to any extent.  I am so far behind the main group that as I start the bike, the first cyclist is already completing his second lap.   Too bad.  I press on and make the best of my ability.  
Completed the 20k cycle I rack the bike and start my run leg.  
The run is in the camping area and is a three lap up and down the roads of the camp site.  
I run the bike out of the transition section.  
Running the bike into the transition after the cycle 
Finally running to the finish line.   I still have plenty of legs for running.  
Race done and dusted.   Ally and I walk back to the tent to pack up and leave for PE
My result.    I am the only 70+ and by default am awarded a Gold.   I am not there to pick it up as we have already begun our journey home.   I do not collect medals any more and have given away all the medals that I had assembled.   Medals are wonderful memories for a very short while.   Then they become meaningless and so I not longer accept medals at events. 

This has been a great experience and I will be looking out for 2022 to see if I am able to take part again.  

Thank you to Daniel Kirsten who helped facilitate my entry to the event and who encouraged and supported me through the event.  Thank you to Ally who journeyed with me for the two days (1500km drive) and supported me on the event.    Thank you to my family who were interested and supportive.   Thank you to friends who, through Whatsup, enquired and supported me.  

On the run today:

Jamie Riddle -- Alec's son who has taken to Triathlon in a big way. 

....   Kirsten -- 16 year old Daniel's son who competes in the U17 age category for the first time and is placed 4th.   Well done to him.  He has been competing at Nationals on previous occasions and is gaining experience.  

Roger Hooke who I recognise from Port Elizabeth

Gustav Cilliers from Gauteng who I meet at the start.   He is in the age group below me and wins his age group.  

Louise Boltman -- Nicky's friend from Cape Town Triathlon .... Basically the reason that I am at the event today.  

Daniel Kirsten's son 
Louise Boltman.   Western Province.  CT Triathlon assn


SA Guided Tours and Peter Giddy Guided Tours -- Shore Excursions -- Addo Elephant and other Wildlife Reserves -- Garden Route.  Flowers of Namaqualand -- 

0027 (0) 82 55 03 714    Whatsup
peter.giddy@gmail.com
Addo Elephant Park Day Visit and Night drive. 

  • Kragga Kamma Wildlife Reserve
  • Daniel Cheetah Project
  • Pumba; Shamwari; Amakhala; Kariega -- Day trips Private Reserves.
  • Three day tour of Mountain Zebra Park. Graaff Reinet, Nieu Bethesda and Addo. 
  • City Historical and Cultural Tours, 
  • Horse riding for both experienced and inexperienced riders
  • Hikes and Walks around Port Elizabeth (2 hour Nature and Coastal walks)
  • Garden Route Adventure Tours (Zip Lines; Segway  in the Forest; Adventure Quad Biking; Bridge Walks; Bungy Jump; Knysna Elephant Park; Monkey Land and Birds of Eden; Big Cats Sanctuary; Oudtshoorn Cango Caves and Ostrich farms)
  • Shore Excursions from Passengers ships
  • Transfers. Airport; Hotel and Wildlife Reserve.
  • Flowers of Namaqualand.  Seven days of adventure and exploring places and sights you never even knew existed.  History and natural beauty of the South West of South Africa
  • Karoo to Garden Route. Six days of fun and activities.  Prince Albert; Swartberg Pass; Die Hell; Oudtshoorn; Prince Alfred pass; Plett and Tsitsikamma. 


No comments:

Post a Comment