Tuesday, December 1, 2020

November 2020. Peter Giddy Guided tours: Hikes and walks of Port Elizabeth

 November 2020.    Peter Giddy Guided tours:   Hikes and walks of Port Elizabeth

Peter Giddy Guided Tours -- Shore Excursions -- Addo Elephant and other Wildlife Reserves -- Garden Route.  Flowers of Namaqualand -- 

0027 (0) 82 55 03 714    Whatsup
peter.giddy@gmail.com
Addo Elephant Park Day Visit and Night drive. 

  • Kragga Kamma Wildlife Reserve
  • Daniel Cheetah Project
  • Pumba; Shamwari; Amakhala; Kariega -- Day trips Private Reserves.
  • Three day tour of Mountain Zebra Park. Graaff Reinet, Nieu Bethesda and Addo. 
  • City Historical and Cultural Tours, 
  • Horse riding for both experienced and inexperienced riders
  • Hikes and Walks around Port Elizabeth (2 hour Nature and Coastal walks)
  • Garden Route Adventure Tours (Zip Lines; Segway  in the Forest; Adventure Quad Biking; Bridge Walks; Bungy Jump; Knysna Elephant Park; Monkey Land and Birds of Eden; Big Cats Sanctuary; Oudtshoorn Cango Caves and Ostrich farms)
  • Shore Excursions from Passengers ships
  • Transfers. Airport; Hotel and Wildlife Reserve.
  • Flowers of Namaqualand.  Seven days of adventure and exploring places and sights you never even knew existed.  History and natural beauty of the South West of South Africa
  • Karoo to Garden Route. Six days of fun and activities.  Prince Albert; Swartberg Pass; Die Hell; Oudtshoorn; Prince Alfred pass; Plett and Tsitsikamma. 

Website --   petergiddyguidedtours.wordpress.com

For tours and bookings.. email me at.    peter.giddy@gmail.com
Contact me on Whatsup....  0027 082 550 3174
Monday 2nd November

Meeting up with Ken and Bob for an 8km jog around Linkside.    I am not 100% sure why they start so very early in the morning?   I leave home at 4.15am to meet up with them.   Right now that is my best opportunity to get out and to run.  

Wednesday 4th November.     Run with Bob.   Found the MPRG on the road so turned around and ran the second half of today with Mitch;  Gaye;  Liesl; Stefany; Antoinette and Gordon
Wednesday walk is Lady Slipper from Falcon Rock. 
Starting off on the pathways -- always up hill
Past some big rocks
On and upwards through the forest
Some steep climbing. 
Had to use all fours to steady ourselves
Finally at the top with Dave and Heather; Eugene; Irene and David.   
The Toposcope with compass points. 
Fiona and Cheryl celebrating.  
Steeep Descents. 



Fountain Bush
King Protea
Everlastings.   Sewejaartjie   Strawberry Everlasting.    Helichrysum felinum

Chris and Irene. 
Group pic at the end.   Robin decided to listen to his body and turned around when he was feeling a bit faint. 
Selfie.   Peter;  Dave;  Eugene;  Irene; Chris;  Dave;  Heather and Fiona.  
Trail markers make the pathway easy to find.    This route takes about an hour up when you stop for pics etc.   The descent is a similar time.   Probably about 3kay round trip.   A tough steep climb to the top.   
There has been a spike in the number of C19 cases.   People from my hiking group and others who are known to me have been afected badly.  
Some of the comments from three different hikers:
Hi Peter just to say I have the virus, was tested yesterday, I seem to think I may have picked this up last Saturday? I had sore throat and cough when I came home. Anyway just to say I won't be able to walk for the next couple days
Peter yesterday was very scary, I had a pounding headache and very nauseous, managed to get stronger headache pills, today that's gone 🙏 head very sensitive, still no sense of taste or smell and a very heavy head, breathing still feels like through thick smoke
I was a bit better this morning but my head in a vice right now
I must’ve picked it up last weekend because incubation period is 5/6 days... I started getting sick Thursday night... sudden body ache, headache... then it went away on Friday morning I was fine.... Friday night came back with a vengeance fever of 38.1 for 2 days, body ache and fatigue... that was Saturday and Sunday... yesterday Monday I was fine fever gone still weak had the test... positive.... now I’ve developed a head cold, sore throat, blocked nose, coughing
I had sensitive skin on the Wed following the hike, and have had constant headaches since. No fever or nausea.

Wednesday 4th.   We walk the Lady Slipper trail from Falcon Rock.   It is a newish trail that none of us have used previously.    A steep tough climb up to the top.   Rocky pathways make it difficult.   The round trip takes us about 2 hours including stops and picture taking.   Today I walked all the way up the mountain with my mask on.   Not easy.   But considering the comments above, I felt it neccessary.  

This evening I light a fire with a some Porkers and Wors.   Add this to a bit of Veg, Roast Potato and Beetroot.   What a treat for us.   As most evenings we play our Card Game:  Iced Tea.  

Friday 6th Nov.   Running 10k with Bob and Kenny.   

Friday evening.    pick up for St Georges Hospital.   I am now starting with the Transporter Business again.   I originally started in July this year;  Bruce Gault helped me during my Flower Tours and I continued until the end of September 2020.   Now in November, there is a Spike in the Viral infections.   St Georges hospital has employed Nursing Staff from other provinces and I take them from their hostel to work and back.

This frame has recently been erected for just this purpose.  Not easy for me to get up.   But here is Megan and I posing with the Pier, rocky shore and in the far back you can see Woody Cape.   
John Nelson; Benita Barton and their running friends who we met up with this morning.   Others we met included Chris and Elmarie; Mike and Jenny; Liesl and Lucille.   
Saturday 7th morning   Start the day with a Beachfront run with Megan who has not been running for some time.   I pick up my second lot of Agency Nurses from the Bus to Crows Nest where they will be lodging for the next 2 months.  

Ally has her hair done.    She is looking at her best right now. 
One of my guests from earlier in the year (Claudia) "Smuggled" a Spekboom onto the Cruise Ship.   Planted it in Germany.   And this is the result.   Well done Claudia.  
Nicky and Werner spend the weekend in Plett.   They have a wonderful relaxing few days.   And declare that they have Fallen in Love with Plett all over again and want to move here is a few years time. 
Barbara goes to rescue some birds from a roof.   Falls down the ladder.   Hurts her leg and feet. 
Feet so swollen and bruised that Barbara is unable to walk for a few days.    The Doctor sends her for Xrays.   Seems like only a small fracture and no broken bones which surprises me.    Within a week she is walking with difficulty. 
Zara finds this jacket.   I bought the jacket probably in about 1970 in Johannesburg.   Nicky claimed it in about 2000 and now it seems that Zara has claimed ownership. 
Jacqui takes her family for a holiday in the North of Israel.   Nimrod Fortress Park.   Bordering on Lebanon and Syria.   This fortress is on top of a mountain.   And I wonder how is it possible that these huge building blocks were brought up here and then laid one on top of another with such precision.   

Nimrod Fortress Park in North Israel.  Remnants of a 13th-century castle situated on a foliage-covered hill with panoramic views.
Jacqui and Michael.  On Holiday for a few days. 
Jacqui and Michael take the holiday with another family.    
Saturday 7th Nov 2020.   This evening I put the fire on;  Barbara relaxes with her dog.   
On the Braai this evening.    Mielies;  Braai rolls with Onion and Cheese;  Porkers and Boerewors.   Ally makes a Salad. 
And I make a Pineapple Tart.  

Saturday 7th Nov.   I start the day with a run with Megan Holden;   Pick up Nurses from the Bus Station for the Hospital --  I provide a transport Service.  During this time of Covid 1,  the Hospitals are short of staff.  In particular Nursing staff as the state hospitals have offered excellent pay packages for Nurses.   So hospitals are making use of Agency Staff to fill in the gaps when they become short staffed.    St Georges hospital has employed 12 of these agency nurses.   They are housed in a Self Catering unit in Humewood.   I will, for the next two months, Pick the Nurses up from their accommodation and transport them to the hospital each day.  

The rest of Saturday is spent at home relaxing until the evening:   I put on the fire and we have a braai evening.   I love my home braais.  As most evenings; Barbara, Ally and I play cards after supper.   

Sunday 8th Nov 2020.    One more Nurse pick up at the Bus Station.   Walk from Something Good in Summerstrand to the harbour Wall.  

Monday 9th,   Ally makes a delicious Spaghetti Bolognaise for our supper.   

Mill Park Conservancy.   Secamone Alpini.    Monkey rope.   A creeper and not part of the tree.  
Glynne and Ronnie on the walk
False Pea
Fortnight Lillies
PE Rocks to be repositioned 
Tuesday morning.   Walk in the Mill Park Concervancy with Glynne and Ronnie.   

Tuesday evening Braai Time.   I will not be able to Braai for some time now due to my Transporter Duties.    So I put the fire on in the rain.  



Blue Horizon Bay Conservancy.   Hiking trail -- "Die Sottepad"  
Walking onto the trail.  
Van Stadens Mouth Resort. 
Debbie and Philippa
Cecilia;  Kaydin and David
Cheryl and Val
Pat;  Denise and Patrick
Dennis;  Maria and Flo
Robin our hike leader
Heather;  Dave;  David;  Fiona
Robin;  Peter and Chris. 
Finishing the walk up the dune to the parking area. 

Wednesday 11th.    Running /km with Kenny Barwood.    Pick up Hospital Staff duties. 
Chris meets me and we do the Blue Horizon Bay hiking trail.    Start at BHB beach Parking.   Walk immediately uphill and into the Conservancy next to the Tennis Courts.   Then a loop into the Indigenous forests Conservancy.   Back on the trail and up to the V Stadens Mouth road.   Into the V Stadens Mouth resort and then the final bit is along the beach.   Past many fishermen.  Catching Bronze Whaler Sharks.   Catch and release.   The Blue Horizon Hiking trail as we did it today is about 10k


Walking up this kloof is a real treat.   Medium fitness and a sure foot is all that is required.   
Important to take plenty water and to know your limits.    It is an out and back so you can turn around at any time.  

Thursday 12th.   
Paul & Rose Roth invited me to join them and Des on a hiking trail at Klein Rivier (Brad Sharp).    Jenny Barwood and Janny Meijerink join me.     We leave from my house at 7am.  Meet Paul at 7.30am and drive out towards Uitenhage and on to the Cockscomb Turnoff.   A further 30km of dirt road; 6 x gates we finally get to the Klein Rivier farm 1H30min driving.     Our hike is about 5hours 30 minutes includes plenty of stops to check out the accommodation;  the bushmen paintings and for relaxing and swimming.   Des dives in at every opportunity.   The hike is up a valley (Kloof)  with some pathways; some boulder hopping;  some clambering on edges.   You need to have moderate fitness and be sure footed to do this hike.   Sometimes on shaky ledges.   
We have a picnic lunch at the pool side after the walk.  Finally home by 4.30pm.  
   
Friday 13th.   Start the day with an 8km run with Kenny;
Do my morning St Georges hospital pick ups.  

Saturday 14th.    Blue Horizon Bay hiking trail.   

On the Blue Horizon Bay upper trail. 
Into the Sottepad Conservancy trail .    (Sottepad = Only crazy people walk this pathway)
The Conservancy clearing -- Madelein;  Janny;  Gay and Noeksie
Mosa.   walked exceptionally well today
Hebe takes it all in her stride. 
Kate battles.    Not a word of complaint. 
On the trail.    Spread out as always.  
Uphills are not confined to the first km of the trail . 
Colony of Milkweed Locusts.  Emerging from the nest (Underground).    
Pigs Ear
Out group at the break in the Van Stadens Resort.   Hebe; Janny;  Gillian;  Richie;  Joseph;  Ruben;  Kate and Mosa;  Gay; Madelein;  Christa;  Bernard (A year ahead of Ally at Pearson);  Noeksie and Philip.  
Noeksie;  Janny and Christa on the beach
Madelein and Gay 
Janny leads the way  with Hebe;  Bernard;  Noeksie and Christa following
Hebe chats to Bernard;  Noeksie is his mother and Christa is Noeksie's sister from Durbanville. 
Gillian is always cheerful on these walks
The black rocks mean that we have just 15 minutes of beach walk left. 
Bombardier beetle.   Bombardier beetles are ground beetles which are most notable for the defense mechanism that gives them their name: when disturbed, they eject a hot noxious chemical spray from the tip of the abdomen with a popping sound.

The Blue Horizon Bay hiking trail.      We start with the steep uphill;  then the circular Conservancy trail.   We then move onto the upper Blue Horizon Bay pathway to the Van Stadens mouth tar road.   At the resort we stop for a break before the 4km beach walk back to the cars.   This is a substantial trail of about 9km.   

Hi Peter

Thank you for joining us at myrun Humewood Golf Club today.
Your time for completing the 5 km is 00:31:40 with an average pace of 6:20 min/km.

You now have completed 16 myrun events. Well done! 
Christine and Bertus are the organisers at Humewood Golf Course.   
Sunday 15th November 2020.    I start the day with a 5km Myrun.   This is my first Event since Lockdown in Mid March.   So good to be pushing the pace a little.   Although I must get back to under 6 minutes a kay.  

Monday morning run with Kenny.  Pick ups and drop off for the Hospital. 

Tuesday 17th.   Addo Elephant Park Safari with Janny; Strelza;  Noeksie and sister Christa & Philip.   A good morning with Elephant; Zebra; Antelope and even a Lioness sleeping on a ridge.   A rainy day but all okay in the end.  The further north in the park the drier it becomes.    

Wednesday 18th.  Bob; Kenny and I run 7k around Linkside.   It is raining but we hardly noticed the rain.    Wednesday walk cancelled due to rain.   Hospital pick up and drop off continues.   

Thursday 19th.   After my pick ups I park at Hobie beach and run up and down the promenade.    The route of the SA Champs 21k is from Pollock to Kings Beach and back up to the Golf Course entrance.  Do this loop twice.   I did it once.  10k on my own.   Not often I run alone but today I enjoyed it.  

Today I begin working on the possible agency for a Car Rental /  Transfers and transport services business.   Alex is the hospital manager and he put me onto a man who has this business.   

Friday 20th morning.  04.15am 8km run with Bob and Kenny.
Toktokkie beetle at the InniKloof hiking trail. 
Tok Tokkie. 
Chris overlooking the view site
Peter and Flo enjoying the views on the top of the Inni Kloof hiking trail. 
A cooling off swim.    Both Flo and I braved the cold water. 
May be a Triangular Cactus
Tree Orchid
Tree Orchid
Bulbs of the tree Orchid
Fungus.   Artists Palate?
Tree Fungus
John and his daughter Ann are our hosts
Flo and Chris enjoying the views of the orchards below. 
Trails are well marked
We start the hike with a long steep uphill.    At one stage we pass by a bee hive and somehow we annoy the bees who proceed to attack us.   Janny had them stuck in her hair and had a number of stings on her head.   Ihad a sting on my forehead which continued to be sore for most of the day.   Others on my arm and back Chris helped me to pull the sting out and they seemed to heal fairly quickly.  
Our little group of Chris; Janny; Flo and myself at the top of the hill. 
Our host is John Wait on the trail   He kindly came along with us and was a wealth of information regarding the trail;  the plant life and the farm itself which has been in the Wait (Scottish) family since 1830/      
Friday 20th November 2020.   Running with Bob and Kenny.   Meet Flo; Janny and Chris.   We drive to Inni Kloof at Hankey where we meet John Wait and his daughter Ann who is studying to be a medical doctor.   They are our personal guides up the hiking trail.   The hike starts a little way from their home and he takes us there in his bakkie.   We off load and immediately start with a climb.   Up and Up and Up.   It is a long and steep up hill.   A nasty incident is when we come across a hive of bees.   I am stung about 5 places including my forehead.   Janny has them in her hair and is stung on her head.  John shows us some of the Tree Orchids as well us other interesting nature.   

The Descent is steep and quick.   Overlooking the orchards below.   Back at the bakkie John shows us the Camp Sites as well as a pool.   Flo and I both decide to have a swim.   So refreshing.   We are back home early afternoon.   

Saturday 21st.    I take a small group to the Klein Rivier Hiking trail.    Cheryl;  Teresa;  Gillian and   Selan;   Rina and Irene.    

Nicky has her own Fan Club.   Go Natalie and Mommy! 
The results and map of her route.   21.1km.   5.47kmph.   
Nicky splits and the Elevation of each Km.  
Nicky and her friends run the 21k on Saturday 21st. 

Saturday 21st November:   This morning Nicky runs a 21k Virtual Race.  

Christien and Bertus are able to run the 5km Myrun this morning
Bertus volunteered me to be a Volunteer.  

Thank you for joining us at myrun Humewood Golf Club today.
Your time for completing the 5 km is 00:29:06 with an average pace of 5:49 min/km.

You now have completed 17 myrun events. Well done! 
Finishing my second Myrun since Lockdown in March this year. 
Sunday 22nd morning.   I run the Myrun at the Humewood Golf Course.     

Monday 23rd.   We are selling the Plett Flat which was bought by our mother:  Ena Giddy.   The flat is in a prime position in Plettenbergbay.  With  a great view across the bay.  Next to the shops.   But has not real use for us and is costing us to keep it going.    We have not been able to rent the flat despite reducing the rental.   And we seldom use the flat.  Property often appreciates in value.   But an empty flat costs in Rates; Electricity and water; Maintainence; Property Levy and ultimately in Captial Gains tax.   For us the past few years the flat has become a burden and I am delighted that Patrick has agreed to sell.  

As we started running at 4.15am this morning,  I was aware of Lightning.  Then Thunder as it rumbled across the skies above.   Quite impressive.   Starting in the dark, during November it is soon light as we run through Linkside and up 1st Ave Newton Park then back via Bobs home.   
Glynne and I take our clippers and trim the bush that grows over and next to the pathways.   A lot of exotic stuff growing -- Particularly Lantana.   Looks beautiful;  but in fact a real invasice plant that is really difficult to get rid of.  

Monday 23rd morning I meet Bob and Ken for a 7km run.   Then my pick ups;  Nicky meanwhile, on tired legs from a good 21k on Saturday, runs a 10k this morning.   I then take the Combi in for a service.  Then meet Glynne Lloyd to help him do some bush cutting in the Mill Park Conservatory.   A nice busy morning. 

The day ends with an upsetting incident as Ally and I are in the Quantum -- Picking up medication for one of the Hospital Staff.   We are in Town. I park next to the Pharmacy.  Ally jumps out to collect the package.  A man gets in the car before I can lock it and steals Ally and my phones and runs off.   No hope of me catching him.   This upsets me terribly.   I cannot think straight and behave irrationally.   Ally fortunately remains calm and is able to block the phones.   My life is on the phone.   Details of contacts; Pics and other information.   I will recover.   

Tuesday 24th.   Ally and I spend the morning trying to decide and then purchase a new phone.   In the end I purchase an Huawei P40 Lite. 

My first pic with the new phone I purchased on Tuesday 24th.   Bob; Kenny and I run around Linkside.   At the end of the run, I stop to chat to a cyclist I regularly see --  Eddie.   Just to find out his name.  
I just missed capturing the Orcas that were off Hobie Beach.  

Wednesday 25th.   Combi in for a Valet.   What a difference,  Cleaned out most of the accumulated dust.  This morning on the way to pick up,  I stop at Hobie Beach for a quick chat to Ron.   And he spots a couple of Orcas off the beach where Lyn is swimming.   I am just too late to capture them on camera.  

 Thursday 26th   Peter Joseph and I take a small group --- Hebe Usher;   Allison Harrison and Thelma Snow on a 7 day tour of the Eastern Cape.  

Day one is to Kenton and then to Kei Mouth ..   We take the Ferry across the Kei river to the Transkei
Coffee bay and the Baby hole in the wall. 
Transkei homes. 
Day three and Tsolwana Game Reserve
Day five is at Hogsback and the Edge. 
Day six is hiking.   39 steps waterfall. 

Meanwhile across in Israel --- Michael and Jacqui take the family to the Eilat Desert for a long weekend. 

Driving --- Not long in distance but these drives can be difficult with traffic. 
500 millions of year old towers
Tom finds some stones to collect
Nicky in Cape Town finds a Deadhead hawkmoth









.

No comments:

Post a Comment