Saturday, April 1, 2017

MARCH 2017 David Giddy dies in Perth Australia; SA Guided Tours; Garden Route Tour; Sportsmans Warehouse 15k;

Tours and Safaris in Port Elizabeth; Addo Elephant park; Wildlife safari; Ocean Safari; City and Township Tours; Garden Route and Cape Areas; 
Planned trips to South Africa; Port Elizabeth; Garden Route; Cape Town
To book Peter as your Guide contact him -- peter.giddy@gmail.com.


MARCH 2017
Officially become an associate of SA Guided Tours with my name on the Leaflets and handouts
Mosaic Tourism closes doors.
Barbara and I continue to do Tours and Transfers
Barbara flys to Cape Town to see Nicky's new home and Ally in University
I have a Garden Route Tour.
Cape Town Cycle tour is cancelled due to strong winds and protests
Sportsmans Warehouse 15kay
David Giddy dies in Perth Australia.



Emily 12th birthday Party in Israel.

Come, now is the time to worship.
Come, now is the time to give your heart.
Come, just as you are, to worship.
Come, just as you are, before your God.
Come.

One day every tongue will confess
You are God.
One day every knee will bow.
Still the greatest treasure remains for those
Who gladly choose you now.

Come, now is the time to worship.
Come, now is the time to give your heart.
Oh, come. Just as you are to worship.
Come just as you are before your God.
Come.

One day every tongue will confess
You are God.
One day every knee will bow.
Still the greatest treasure remains for those
who gladly choose you now.

A Longclaw in Addo.  Poor image as it is in the shadow at Peasland. Wednesday 1st March
I start the day dropping off boys and Jessica at School at 7am. Pick up Rebecca and Madelein at the Radisson for a Raggy Charters at the Yacht Club. 
Then receive a call to do a City Tour for the Silver Cloud.  Rush off to Nissan to drop the car for a service.  Rush home to wash and shave. Rush to the harbour to meet the bus and the 23 passengers.  Take them for a 2.5hour city tour. Back to the Harbour.
Then rush to Villiers Road to pick up a Pembury Fortuner. Rush to the Airport to meet clients.  Arrive just in time to meet them. 
Drive to Kwandwe, Thankfully a stop at Nanaga for a Pie and toilet break. The drive to Kwandwe is about 130km to Grahamstown. Turn left towards Fort Beaufort. 20km along this road. See the sign for Kwandwe and then its a 10km dirt road to the lodge.
Back to PE; drop off the vehicle; collect my car and eventually home by 7pm.
 Regina from the Silver Cloud and Mark who called me to do the City Tour
This is where you turn off to Kwandwe.  20km from the N2 on the road to Fort Beaufort. From here it is 10km of rough dirt roads to the Kwandwe Reception.
Thursday
Pick up the Qashqai at Nissan; Drive to Addo Village for a Citrus business meeting at Africanos, at 13.30 I leave to pick up documents in PE, Supakwik for a puncture and to buy a Compressor Pump, Rush home to print documents and deliver in time before DAFF closes, Qashqai does not start so after a couple of attempts to push, we start it by pulling with a rope on the Landrover, Rush to Battery Centre where I have a new battery fitted.

 Blood lily at Domkrag dam look out
Donna and Brad Burt -- Canadians on the Addo Tour with me today
Friday 3rd.  Full day Addo Tour; An excellent day -- Elephant up close. Barry also does an Addo Tour for me.
 Saturday morning running group with Adel; Mike; Sjani; Chris and Lindi
 Annie and Adrienne ran a bit longer so Adel and I did some fetching
Adel, Mike -- New meaning to Blue Suede Shoes!
 John and Lisa are here for a visit.  Proud Pat loves having her family together.  Adrienne being Adrienne.
 Lindi; Chris and Mike with a Hobie beach pier background.
Beautiful morning for a run. Gerald being charmed by Adrienne and Sjani who love being with this legend.
Saturday 4th.
Beach front run with Adrienne; Maria; Lindi; Adel; Mike; Anne; Chris; Elmarie; Ronel and Sjani.
Barbara has a Shamwari Transfer. Tim van der Gugten.  Dutch father and Australian living in Wales where he plays professional Cricket. Watch this space!
Sunday morning.  SOOOO funny! Alarm goes off.  Wash and shave. Running clothes on. Jog to the start of the run. No one there? Chris is always there before me! Oh No! It is Sunday.  I thought it was Monday. So do a short run on my own. Home and awake so I make crunchies.
 Melanie; Sandra and Hamza at Domkrag.
Frank and Gill were also on tour today.
Sunday 5th
I have an Addo Tour today.  Melanie; Sandra and Hamza have a good day with excellent viewing.
Monday 6th.  I have a day of admin planned.  Take the landrover to have the window winding mechanism fixed, fetch the Qashqai from Lene but on the way receive a call for a full day tour.  I collect Joanne and John (Canadians) from Beachwalk and we do a city; Township and end up at African Dawn which turns out to be a great success.
We stop at Urban for lunch.  With John and Joanne
Tuesday.  A big group running this morning. Somehow Tuesdays seem to attract the biggest groups.
After a bit of back and forth on both tours -- I start the morning with collecting the Landrover and then have a City Tour. The City tour is with Ralph whose wife is in Greenacres Hospital after a motor accident; Nompie from Kroonstad; Robbie and Eddie from Brazil.  We do the City, Donkin Reserve, Lighthouse; Drill Hall; Castle Hill and Fort. Here we see Tracey taking Collegiate Grade 4's for a tour.  Moms -- Maria and Xavier; Michelle; Lisa and Sonja all from running groups are there.  My group seem to love this tour.
Rhyno (Renier); Lungi and Fritz in Ayanda's pottery Business.
 Later today I have a Township Tour with Fritz and Rhyno (Renier) who are in a group touring from Germany with Zerlina from Kuoni Private Safaris. I am able to take them for a reasonably successful Township tour where Rhyno has fun looking at the Street Butcheries as he is a Master Butcher in Germany.

Wednesday..  Up early drive to Knysna; Pick up Ilan and Zvia Shay at Kanonkop and then back to PE and Kichaka reserve.  About 720km drive today.  This evening have a Rugby Meeting at Clarendon Park.
 Stephanie Buckler.  A nurse at a hospital in Zurich.  Today was an excellent day with close up of Elephant; Buffalo; Lions on a Zebra kill; Giraffe and Rhino.
Cheetah seen from the Monkey Walk at Kragga Kamma.
Thursday.  Had a hard run through target kloof and then drop off some stuff with Mike before running home.  Then the back door of the Landrover would not close so that was extra stress. Then the Bakkie has a flat so more stuff to do. Lene gets if fixed later and I have new shocks fitted to the Qashqai during the day.  Meanwhile I have an Addo Tour with Hans (who makes battery operated bicycles in Germany) and Stephanie. Stephanie is a nurse in a Hospital in Zurich. It is a half day tour but Stephanie wants to do Kragga Kamma to see the Giraffe and Rhino. 
Friday. Start the morning with a Swim with Megan Holden.  I collect Ilan and Zvia Shay from Kichaka and take them to the airport.  I seem to have a whole pile of stuff to do and busy myself for the rest of the afternoon.  Lene and family go to the Clarendon Camp out but are blown apart by strong winds so are home by 9pm
Addo tour with Thomas; Susan; Travis; Valeria and Vittoria.
Vittoria found me on Trip Advisor. She and Thomas and Travis are in PE to visit the Shatterprufe factory for Mercedes Benz. Susan was volunteering at a clinic in Missionvale while Valeria is Brazillian and is purely on holiday.
Thomas; Vittoria; Valeria; Susan; Peter and Travis  -- Pic sent to me by Susan.
Saturday 11th.
Great run at the beach front with Mike, Adrienne, Maria, Annie, Andrea and Kelly
Later I fetch from Ibahyi town lodge, Lungile and Marshall road.  We end up having a wonderful tour with two lionesses at the end of the day.  Valeria stays over as she was booked in at Redhouse and that is simply too far for an early morning flight on Sunday..
Guili and Maya with their two children -- Zuurkop lookout point.  They are from Bershebah in Southern Israel.  He has recently qualified as a doctor.
Sunday morning.  I am up early and leave for Addo at 5.10am.  It takes me 70 minutes at a slow pace.  Meet Guili and Maya at the main camp and take them for a 3 hour game drive.  This was my first at a Sunrise Addo tour. 
 Tsitsikamma Falls Adventures at the Kruis River
Nicholas; Tania; Danielle and Thomas enjoyed the Ziplining.
Leopard at Tenikwa.  Worthwhile!
Monday.  Run with Adrienne; Anne; Maria and Michelle.  Lene drops me off and I collect an Ilios Quantum.  Meet the Lasalle family at the airport and we drive to Plett where they stay at the Hunters Lodge Hotel.  Along the way we stop for Zip Lining, Storms river bridge; bungy jump watching and Tenikwa Wildlife sanctuary.  It turns out to be a full day and we only get to the hotel at 6pm.  I stay over at Hill House in Plett.
 I have been into these caves a number of times.  But the Cango Caves never cease to amaze me.
 Danielle; Tania and Nicholas took a ride on a Camel
 Danielle and Nicholas feeding the giraffe.  After this they rode Ostriches.
Clover truck that overtook us on the way from Oudtshoorn to George on an uphill with oncoming car.
Tuesday -- Another full day.  Pick up at 8.30.  Breakfast at Hunters Lodge; N2 to Wilderness, Stop for viewing then on to George and the Oudtshoorn.  Arrive at the caves for the 12.00 standard tour. Then lunch at the place where they have the Camel Back Riding, Zip Line, Plenty of games and activities for children. Then back to Oudtshoorn and the Chandelier Ostrich Farm where we feed Giraffe and they do some Ostrich Riding.  Then back to Hunters by 7.30pm.  I stay in Plett again.
Wednesday 15th.  The trouble with being an early morning runner is that I cannot sleep much past 4.30 or 5.00am.  I collect from Hunters at 9am.  My guests do the Monkeyland Tour and then straight through to PE Airport.   Later I collect the Landrover which has been in for service, Buy a new jack and fill up with Diesel.  Money Money Money.
This Morning (Thursday) start the day with the 8km Target Kloof Run.
Then an Addo Tour with Flor and Laura; Judith and Arslan.
 Friday swim 1200m with Megan at the Newton Park Pool. And then the Landrover battery does not work.  Another expense for a new battery.  Then I drive to Walmer and the accelerator fails.  So I have the vehicle towed to Savoy Motors ... And have to use my Nissan to do the next Addo Tour. More expense for this vehicle.  I will have to decide on what to do with it as I simply cannot afford to have a vehicle that gives trouble.
Then the vehicle is returned but has the same problem again.  So the Landrover has to stay in the workshop for the weekend.  Meanwhile I have an Addo Tour for four people so I borrow Franks Toyota Condor for the Addo / Schotia tour.  This evening I am with tour guide Dale.
Sunday morning I am back with Ruth and Philip from Scotland in Kragga Kamma.
 Thursday Addo Group on THursday
 Saturday 18th.  Addo Schotia tour.  Here is a Hippo with four baby Crocs
 Mother Croc sleeping next to the dam
 Candelabra Lily
Ruth and Philip Imrie at Kragga Kamma on Sunday
Monday morning ..
Suzanne joins us for the morning run.  She is now living in London where she has a job as a receptionist. Both Jessica and Emma are happy in their lives in the UK at present. Star joins the slow group until the faster group catches us. We cut short towards Collegiate.
Back into Addo.  Pick up Victor and Vandera (Sweden) and we start off with a successful Addo Tour in Frank's Condor. We then go to Kragga Kamma for the second half where I jam the underside of the vehicle and the Fan and Radiator are all damaged.  I have the car towed and Frank meets us.  This ends up in disaster as the repairs are going to be over R16 000.
 Tobias; Magdalena and Jeanette at Addo on Tuesday 21st
The heat and dust in Addo today was unbearable. 42 Degrees.
Tuesday 21st.  Addo Tour with Tobias; Magadalena & Jeanette (Policewoman from Germany).  The heat got to me a bit today.  I was exhausted at the end of the day.
Wednesday.... Swimming with Megan Holden.  1200m. This morning was a great swim for me.  Everything seemed to work and I felt refreshed afterwards.
Needle Bush / Beesting Bush.  When the berries are white you can eat them. Very Sweet. Fiscal Shrike seen plucking insects off the bush. Azima Tetracantha.
Another hot day in Addo .  Sweta and Charlotte at Spekboom.  Overall a good day.  They are off to work on a farm at Nobini in the Transkei.
Thursday.  Run Target Kloof.  Cycle to Cape Recife with Chris. Take my road bike to Bernt and Catherine's house. He does bike repairs and is a huge bike enthusiast with a whole array of bikes.
Friday.  I hire a Hyundai H1 from Budget.  6 people in the vehicle. Bill and Jody from Cayman Islands. Jody is here to take part in Ironman. Nina; Sophie and Louisa from Germany and Pablo is a Spanish Wine Maker. It has been colder over night and plenty of rain.  So we don't see the same Elephant Sightings as we would expect but we have a great Lion Sighting which makes the day.
 Lion Sightings near to Kadouw lookout point at Addo
Maria and Peter at the end of Sportsmans Warehouse 15k.
Arm and Elbow took a nasty grazing.
Saturday morning I pick up Maria and we run the Sportsmans Warehouse 15k.  We run with Chris; Robin and then Chris and Maria go ahead.  In the final Kay Maria takes a tumble and ends up with a scratched arm. Despite this on a tough hilly course, Maria is ecstatic after the run feeling that this is her best run.  She enjoyed the hills.  1.23 with Chris.  I was 3minutes behind at 1.25.
407 572 1116 PETER GIDDY ACH M 66 65-69M 1.25.34 1
364 64 1064 MARIA BENITO TEMP F 44 40-44F 1.23.12 0 
Later Barbara and I transfer Hartmut and Burgett to Kuzuko Lodge.  My first time to drive there.  165km from the airport.  40km (one hour) of tough dirt road.

This evening.  Barbara does some sailing in the harbour with a wishy washy fireworks display and I attend a Rugby Evening with Joshua and Daniel at Clarendon.  (Chris and Natalie; Andrew and Cindy Porter; Adrian).
 Barbara is at a Harbour Festival with Lyn Pask and friends
I am at Clarendon Park Rugby day.  Boys having an amazing time while parents Braai. The Coach gives some updates on the day's activities.
Sunday 26th...  The month seems to be rushing by.
Trinity;  Had a really good time at Homleigh Farms
I have a morning City Tour.  Joseph from France and Piwe Makaula; Thobeka and Trinity from JHB.  Piwe and I had such good conversations -- he used to work in JDG in Hifi and Incredible as a CA. Thobeka is a lawyer with Coke. Later I take them to the Harbour where there is a festival and to Homleigh Farms. Then finally to the airport for their 6pm flight.
Monday.  Run with the group.  Addo Tour with Joseph;  Glen and Cathy. 

Tuesday 28th.  Half day tour for Mark Heck -- Pumba game drive and lunch at Pumba. Lindile is our driver and we have 15 guests.
 Lindile -- Driver for Mark Heck
 Guides and Drivers sitting in the Pumba Library while the guests do a game drive.  Here is Pieter; Lizl; Luc and others.
PONANT Cruise liner in PE harbour for two days. 
 Lizl; >>> Lindile and Allan
Group of Guides and Drivers at Pumba.  Allan; >>>: Alice who works on the ship; Lizl;  Luc from Western Cape; >>> Ponant and Lindile.
Wednesday 29th.  I have a brief meeting with Sarah and Sean who are taking over Mosaic Tourism. Luvo does the Kuzuko transfer for me.  I do a Ponant Cruise Ship Addo tour in Marks Quantum.  I am on the game drive and then later I do a whirlwind city tour with Ken and Sandra from Australia.
Thursday.  Half day Addo Tour for 41 Westview Village (Claire) with Fabian and Eugenia. And Natalie and Leen from Belgium.  The heat is almost unbearable.  Fetch Jessica from School and then we collect my bike with has been with Bernd.  He completely stripped the bike and it looks amazing. I take it for a short ride and feel that I am now ready for the corporate Ironman.
Friday 31st.  Tom's birthday party in Israel.  Jacqui does all kinds of baking and preparations -- She is such a wonderful Mom.   Have a number of Admin Duties.  Meet with Carryn Duffield and then with Leigh from AfroAdventures.  Later I meet with Peter Joseph and then a Volunteers Meeting for IM at the beach.
Ally completes her first term at Stellenbosch with good results.
History 87%
Psychology  60%
Sociology  70%
Ancient Cultures  70%
English  60%
Information Skills  82%

Overall (from a financial aspect) I had my best Tour Guiding Month ever.
Trying to sell the Landrover but no luck yet.

BERND STRIPS THE BIKE COMPLETELY
And he puts it together again looking better than mew.

 Rob Ermes has bought this business -- Sign O Rama.
 Nicky busy with an event.
 Werner and some men are completely stripping the Montreux Flat and will rebuild with new tiles and cupboards.
 
Tom's five year birthday party.


David Giddy.  Brother to Puck and Allan Giddy.
Passed away on 24.3.2017
Dear All,

I am writing to so many because my failing heart might cause my death before I am able to thank you for keeping in touch for all the time we have been in Australia. My heart problem seems lIkely     to cause my death. It seems likely that the excess fluid around my heart is going to cause me to die at any time. In particular I owe Hermine and Polly letters in reply.
Having gone for a year with improved health, I had another spell of intense fluid on my heart which has caused excessive blood pressure  around my heart. Which has caused dizziness and loss of appetite resulting in an inability to stand or mobilise. So I'm unable to carry on with my bridge games.
I have trouble reading and writing. I have great trouble writing individual emails and want to send you all thank yous and want you to know how grateful I am for keeping in contact and for the interesting letters from Polly and Hermine. I wish I could send more details of  my failing health and how much fitter Zoe  is than I am.
I wish I had more strength and appetite and hope that I'll be able to regain more ability to email.
Alison has been a marvellous help in keeping in touch and assisting in all my problems and the sale of property, which has been a great problem. This has now been achieved successfully.
I will try to keep in contact with you whenever I can
With love
David
This is Mark writing from my dad's email to take advantage of his addresses.

As most of you know, his health has deteriorated since Christmas and after a major systemic infection that he sensed with his last email, he sadly passed away last night. He was very well cared for and the hospital and nursing staff were wonderfully attentive and ensured he suffered little until the end.

Thank you for all the support and friendship you have provided him over the years. He always appreciated the news and shared it with me. He was most fortunate to remain so sharp that he kept up with his bridge up to a couple of weeks ago, still able to report reasonable success in the competition.

Kind regards,

Mark
CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA
The Proteas are presently in New Zealand.  They started off with a T20 series and then a 3 match Test Series.  Two of the games were abandoned due to rain. The Proteas won the second test and so won the series 1-0.  The Proteas were lucky in that the third test was abandoned on the final day when the Proteas were facing  a probable defeat.

South Africa started the test series against New Zealand in South Africa in August last year ranked seventh in the world. In April 2017, they will receive $500 000 as they finished the season as the runners-up to the No 1-ranked India in whites.
They beat Australia 2-1 Down Under in a sensational series in November 2016, accounted for the Black Caps by 1-0 in March 2017, and whitewashed an inexperienced Sri Lanka 3-0 in South Africa after also beating the Kiwi’s 1-0 at home in August.
In one-day internationals, the Proteas, expertly captained by Du Plessis and AB de Villiers, romped to a 5-0 series win against Australia and Sri Lanka and finished the season as the numero uno team in world cricket.




No comments:

Post a Comment