Saturday, April 30, 2016

CORPORATE IRONMAN -- PORT ELIZABETH -- APRIL 2016

CORPORATE IRONMAN -- PORT ELIZABETH -- APRIL 2016


Saturday -- Corporate Ironman and Ironkids Water Safety duty.
Corp IM -- Met Megan Holden and Andrea Dyer at the start.  It was Megan's first and Andrea's third Corp IM. Perfect conditions.  A bit of a Blue Bottle scare but turned out to be nothing. The water was warm and there was no wind to speak about.  I feel so organised. I have all my stuff in place and ready for action.


The Announcer goes on about all the rules but everyone below is chatting and not paying attention during race briefing.
The Men individual starts 8.15.  The buoys seem to be very close in. I am sure it is not 380m swim. The water is a bit rough but once through the second wave we are on our way. Bodies, arms and legs everywhere. Quickly around the first buoy and then the second. The smell of oil fumes from the safety boat is terrible.  Water is choppy and churning of bodies does not make it easier. Then, after a swim of less than five minutes, I am exiting the water and running up the beach.
The preparation pays off and I seem to make short work of this transition and am out on the bike quickly.
My shoes cleat in cleanly and I get going. Flat out. We cycle towards Recife. And around towards Noordhoek. There is a clear road ahead with the exception of a few slower cyclists who foolishly ride in the middle of the road and nearly cause an accident.  I am not able to stay with any group for the cycle and am on my own from start to finish. I push as hard as I can, waiting for no one. And also seeing no one.
Quick through the run transition and with shoes on I run towards Kings Beach.  I don't think that I am running particularly fast but the results show a 5min a K run for the four kays. On the back half I push even harder until finally entering the finish.  I am out of breath and it takes me a few minutes to settle myself.
 It is Paul Southwood first corp triathlon. 
 Megan does well in finishing her first Corp Triathlon. 
 Megan and Andrea finished within seconds of each other.
Paul and Kelly and the end of the Triathlon.
Bret Holmes; Andrea and Megan at the start of CTC.
I meet up with Paul Southwood and a whole lot of other runners and cyclists. Some have done all three and some in a team.
Results:  Total number of finishers including teams 743
Sharon Wilson  1.29  Pos 608
Elaine Verreyne (70)  1.27  Pos 588
Kevin Campbell  1.23  Pos 510
Kelly Mortimer  1.20  Pos 461
Samantha Mukheiber  1.20
Andrea Dyer  1.16  Pos 388
Megan Holden  1.16  Pos 379
Shell Highway  1.15  Pos 352
Brett Holmes  1.14  Pos 346
Paul Southwood  1.13  Pos 310
Chris Botha Team  1.11 Pos 270
Peter Giddy  1.10  Pos  259
Simon Clark   1.09  Pos  244
Robin Stock   1.09   Pos   229
Luke Palframan   1.07   Pos  197
Allan Verreyne  1.07  Pos  178
Andrew Pritchard   1.05   Pos  144
Jason Collier   1.05  Pos  139
Antonelle Saporta  .54  Pos 1st Lady and 36 overall. (Friend of Megan)
Jarred Cooke  .51  Pos 20
Jamie Riddle  .46  Pos  2nd male and 8th overall
Keegan Cooke .45  Pos First Individual (6th overall)


Splits and Transition times are very complicated.  I did around 6 minutes for the swim; 37 for the cycle and 20 minutes for the run. 7 minutes in total for the transition. = 70 minutes.
After we collected our bikes I walked back to the car, changed and took my stuff to Iron Kids where I spent the rest of the day until about 16.30 doing water safety.  This is hard work.  Back and forth swimming and pulling children who cannot swim. I was totally exhausted by the time this was over and I had walked back to the car.
BRETT; ANDREA AND MEGAN AT THE START OF CORP IM.
 JOSH --- IRON KIDS 2016
 DANIEL  -- IRON KIDS 2016
THEY BOTH TOOK PART AND BOTH COMPLETED AN EVENT.  THAT IS WHAT MAKES THIS REWARD SO SATISFYING. 
 THE BEACH FRONT WAS TRANSFORMED BY THE VIBE AND BUZZ OF IRONMAN THIS YEAR. IT SEEMS TO GET BIGGER AND BETTER EACH YEAR.
 THE ACTIVITY STRECHED RIGHT DOWN TOWARDS THE MARINE HOTEL ON THE EAST SIDE.
IRON KIDS CHAMPIONS -- JOSH AND DANIEL

No comments:

Post a Comment