Tuesday, April 24, 2012

CORPORATE IRONMAN CHALLENGE TRIATHLON APRIL 2012


CORPORATE IRONMAN CHALLENGE 2012; A WONDERFUL MORNING AT HOBIE BEACH. MORNING SUNRISE BEHIND ME AND THE ACTIVITY OF BIKES AND PEOPLE ALL AROUND. THIS MORNING AROUND 1700 ATHLETES WILL TAKE PART IN THE INDIVIDUAL AND THE TEAM EVENTS. AND THOUSANDS OF SPECTATORS AND VOLUNTEERS WILL WATCH THE EVENT UNTIL IT IS TIME FOR THE IRON KIDS LATER THIS MORNING.


CORPORATE CHALLENGE
IRONMAN TRIATHLON SOUTH AFRICA
APRIL 2012

Kevin Cameron 1;30
Craig Wilson 1;06
Sharon Wilson 1;33
Rob Elfick 1;19
Trevor Hawkins
Margie Saunders 1;07
Geoff Roberts 
Lynette Smuts 1;21
Elize Beattie 1;46
Tracey Meistre; 1;23
Tracey Brink 1;30
Herman Brink
Graham Richards 1;10
Debbie Dean; 1;21
John Nelson
Myself: 1;26 (10 min swim; 52 min cycle and 23 min run)
Jarred Smith 1;28

Friday 20th April
On the way to Graduation I had visited the Radisson Blu hotel for the registration to the Corporate Ironman: Last evening after I dropped Julia off after the Graduation I took out my Road Bike. This is a bike that used to belong to Tracey Leach when they lived in East London. Mark sold the bike to Barbara and now I use it when I do any road biking. I took the bike to our bedroom where I pumped the wheels and made sure that it was going to be shipshape for the Triathlon on Saturday. The bikes and helmets are checked for safety before you are allowed to take part in a triathlon. Mainly it is a check tha the Helmet is suitable; the Brakes work and that the handle bar ends are sealed.

I did all the rest of the preparation that is necessary for a triathlon. Pinned the Number onto my reflector belt. The race number has to be on the back for the cycle and the front for the run. I am not sure why we are not given two numbers.

Then I did the check: swim cap provided by Ironman; Swim goggles, Wet Suite which is actually entirely unsuitable for swimming but will have to do if it is cold; Tackies for the run; clip on cycle shoes for the ride; Cycle pants and shirt; Helmet; energy Gu; Small stool to sit on when changing shoes; Vaseline; Cap for the run; Water bottle for the ride; cycle gloves. There are so many things to think of in a triathlon. You have to be really prepared. I will check again before leaving on Saturday morning.

Saturday Morning: I wake up far too early. Unfortunately this particular event has me feeling very apprehensive. I know that I would never be able to do a real IronMan as I would die in my sleep the night before. I have loaded my bike and some of the kit into the car the previous night. I now do another check to ensure that I have everything required for the Triathlon.

Ally has a Hockey match in Humansdorp and with Barbara being in Israel, we have to arrange a lift for her. Somehow we have left this too late and only at the last minute does Shane Petzer agree to take her.



ELIZE AND KEVIN

It is a perfect morning. No wind, slightly overcast and quite warm. We drive to the Petzer's home and Drop Ally off at around 6.15am. I then drive to the Boarwalk in 2nd avenue and find a parking that will be shaded in four hours time. I put my stuff into a tog bag and wheel the bike through the Boardwalk complex. I parked next to a lady who is the Mom of one of Ally's Hockey team from Clarendon Park. She is also doing the Corporate Triathlon this morning. Both of us are feeling stressed and aprehensive and chat nervously as we walk to the transition area together.

At the Hobie Beach transition we are told to have the Helmet fixed to the head and swimcap in hand. Darryl Raubenheimer checks me and then I am in transition. Here I meet up with Kevin Cameron and Elize from Nippers. The sunrise is simply too amazing to describe. The Port Elizabeth beach front has so many of these mornings. Just yesterday as I drove to drop Ally at school she pointed out a whole lot of swimmers near to the Pier. We then realised that these swimmers were in fact Dolphins swimming past in a row that made them look like people in wetsuites in a race.



PETER AND KEVIN

We set up the bikes and the stuff we will need for both the cycle and the run. We try to set it up so that we are as quick as possible in the change over. We have over 30 minutes to the start of the first "wave" of participants. We greet the various people: Margie Saunders; Graham Richards: Tracey Meistre; Martin (Charles' friend from MTB); Craig and Sharon WIlson; Rob Elfick; John Nelson;

The announcer gives the race briefing over the loudspeakers. We are informed that this is the largets Triathlon in Africa. Certainly the whole Ironman event is huge: THursday evening there was an IronLady event which I think was a 10km run; today starts off with the Corporate Challenge and then later there is the Iron Kids and then finally on Sunday is the main event: Ironman South Africa. The race briefing confirms all the information that we were given in writing on Various emails that we have been sent.

The event starts off with the Teams going first. There are two waves of teams: 1 to 200 and then 200 Plus. Then it is the turn of the men and finally the Ladies go off. We wait our turn on the beach. The first two starts are around 10 minutes apart and the men start off at 08;15. The ladies will start 5 minutes behind us. The hooter starts the race. I fumble with my Goggles but manage to strap them on before running into the water. I have put on my Wet suite. This wet suite was a gift to me from Barbara a few years ago when I did a few of the Kloofing events with Mike Perks. It was ideal for that but is really not suitable for swimming. But I was so nervouse about the swim that I wore it anyway. The wet suite is uncomfortable and restrictive for swimming.

We reach the first buoy and turn right towards the Pier. The temperature of the water is probably around 18 degrees. And with no wind it is a perfect morning for a swim. The swim seems short. I am not sure what 380 meters should look like but we round the second buoy in no time at all. Kevin and I swim side by side. I try to avoid being kicked too many times but with so many athletes it is quite crowded. Then we run onto the beach and up to transition. I rinse off my feet and run around the Hobie club.

Back to the bike where I have my little stool set up. I put on the Helmet, Cycle shoes and gloves and set off. Kevin beats me to the start of the cycle and when I finally get going he is out of site. I was quite stupid and did not check my bike out until the previous night. I found that my gear changers both front and back are not working. So I have only one front gear and probably about 3 back gears. Fortunately with no wind and a flat course I will be okay today. We cycle out towards Willows. There is almost no wind but still as we cycle past the University we can feel the wind in our faces.

There are many athletes using MTB's. These are the only cyclists that I can pass. I try my best to catch a group but do not have the strength. Then a group comes past me and I give it everything to stay with them. What a difference -- once I have caught the tail of this group of around 5 cyclists I am in a groove and am able to pick my pace up. It is simply amazing the difference that drafting makes to the cycle. I keep up with this group for a few kays until they finally are just too strong for me. At the turn near to Noordhoek we feel the effect of the wind on our backs. It makes the cycle home that much easier.

On the way back I am able to catch a few groups and enjoy the benefits of riding in a bunch. Fortunately the road is 100% free of traffic and we are able to cycle together. On the way out I had seen a couple of people I know, Including Kevin who was by now a good couple of km's ahead of me. Now onto the final stretch and I try as hard as I can to ride fast. Standing up occasionally and pressing on to the transition area.

Back at transition as I ride in Trevor Hawkins greets me. Tracey Brink is a marshall at the entrance to transition. I rack the bike and fit my running shoes. I remember my cap, take a drink of water. I have not been drinking water as I have had to concentrate so hard on the cycle that I have not had time to grab the water bottle. As I set off for the run I remember how hard it is to run after a cycle. My legs feel like they have been pumped up with either Jelly or with Lead. I am not sure which but I battle to get going. Colin McAll is at the Exit transition.

We run towards Kings Beach along the promenade. I love this part of PE. It is always so perfect; busy with runners; families; walkers and today with the Triathlon. We run on the road side of Mc Arthur Baths and down to the Kings Beach Parking area. Here I pass Kevin as we run past the Watering station. I am starting to enjoy the run as I know that I will do. It usually takes me around 2 to 3 kays to get into the running rythm and this morning is no exception. Now I am able to pick up my legs and run comfortably the final section and into the finish area. Herman Brink is there with his long lens camera.

The announcers are on the ball and each person entering the finish is greeted by name. We are handed a medal and a cold drink. Debbie Dean finishes just behind me. She will have been a few minutes faster than I was. I see Geoff Roberts. It is his 60th Birthday today and he also took part. I walk back to transition and after a short wait we are allowed to take our bikes. I load up my stuff and walk back to the car park where I pack the stuff into the car; I do a road side change and go to work for the balance of Saturday morning.

I feel good now: the event was really well presented; The weather was perfect; nice people all around; I love being a PE boy and after the initial set of nerves before the start -- as soon as I was in the water and the race was underway I simply enjoyed the whole activity. It had taken me just under 90 minutes. Not nearly as strenuous as an Ironman but quite enough for me to have enjoyed a morning's exercize.

No comments:

Post a Comment