Wednesday, December 31, 2008

PATRICK & MARIANNE WEDDING PARTY DECEMBER 2008.

PATRICK & MARIANNE’S WEDDING PARTY
WELLINGTON
SATURDAY 27 DECEMBER 2008.

Early in 2008, Patrick Giddy & Marianne Camerer decided to become a married couple. The wedding ceremony took place in February 2008. Marianne asked her parents for a wedding party to take place at a time when more of her family and friends could celebrate the occasion with her.

Barbara could not go to the wedding party as Cathy & Saul were at our home as well as Nicci and her whole family. So when Patrick asked me to go to the party in Cape Town I asked Richard Kumm (Dawn is Barbara’s sister and Richard is Dawn’s husband) if he would be prepared to drive down with me. Once he had accepted and I had approval from Marianne we made plans to drive down to Cape Town on Boxing Day 26.12.2008.

Richard and Dawn had recently acquired their Canadian Permanent Visa and Dawn asked if she could use the opportunity to drive to CT with us as she would go to say good bye to her family and friends in CT at the same time. Richard and Dawn have two daughters who both live in Calgary. Calgary has oil and for this and other reasons, has been a growth economy for a number of years.

Raylene has been in Calgary for something like 15 years with her husband Steve. Tracey and Mark plus two children; Asher & Kayle moved to Calgary from East London three or four years ago. They have a country home where Dawn and Richard share a basement flat that has its own entrance and view across the valley. Dawn tells me that she has plans to become involved in community activities now that she has residence. There is a tiny village near to their home called Priddis. Richard has become part of a Ham Radio group.

Ian’s two daughters; Julia and Laura arrived in SA on Friday 19th and I collected them from the airport that evening. Julia is in the final stages of her Geology studies at Michigan University while Laura completed high school this year with excellent academic records and is now in her first year at Michigan. Please note that Michigan is not pronounced with a T as Mitchigan. It is pronounced as Mishigan. They stayed for a few days with our son Michael who lives in Target Kloof (River Road).

Sunday evening we attended a carols by candlelight service at Clarendon Park School. This was the second year that our church has arranged this evening and it was a huge success. There was a great vibe on the field before the service with Mike Perks providing games. Most of us had a small picnic or bought some boerewors rolls. Both children and adults did quite a bit of socializing. There were 19 in our group: Barbara, Peter, Dawn, Cathy and Saul, Nicci, Stefan, Christian, Aaron & Zara, Ally and friend Ali, and Julia and Laura; Michael, Lene, Jessica, Joshua and Daniel. Our only missing family is Jacqui’s. Jacqui, Michael, Emily and Anabelle are still in London. Jacqui arrives in PE on 1st January 2009.

Then on Monday 22nd I drove J & L to Plett where Patrick and Marianne had been staying for a few days. Ian and Jenny met us there. Ian had stayed the previous night at their house in Springer Baai near to Mossel Baai. They had done some shopping for Wildcliff in George and we loaded J & L’s stuff in the back of the Toyota.

I had a quick lunch after saying my Hello’s to; Ena, Ian & Alice Spence and Alice’s brother Steeg and then headed back to PE. There was a strong tail wind and I flew home in quick time. The road works had been opened and suspended for the holiday period. Unfortunately the opposite applied to Ian and his family as they had to drive into the teeth of the West wind with a fully loaded bakkie. It was a bit of a nightmare of a drive for them.

That week seemed to fly as we were busy at home with family, busy at work and I tried to stay as fit as possible with jogging and swimming in the mornings at Hobie beach with Adrienne and Elmarie. Adrienne & I have been running partners for as many as 25 years. One of her daughters is Jenny Wilson who represents SA in Hockey at the Olympics. Adrienne herself is an international Dive judge and was in Bejing together with Jenny. Elmarie I have met more recently and she is the wife of Peter who is a good friend of Ron who has been a family friend of ours for over 25 years. Ron is currently visiting his son Craig in the UK. On the morning of 24th we did a short run through the Golf Course and ended up at the cars at Grey with a mug of Champagne that Adrienne supplied. One little sip at 06.00am and I felt the “warmth” in my tummy.

All this time Barbara had been trying to keep her family entertained and active while being busy with her traditional presents purchasing and wrapping. Barbara puts huge effort into this activity and at the end of it we had a Christmas tree with a mountain of presents under the tree. Our children’s family’s also placed their gifts under the tree and it was a wonderful time for the younger children to enjoy on Christmas day.

Christmas morning saw a beautiful sunrise and stockings being opened. I collected Sydney, the car guard, from Jerusalem Ministries to guard our house while we were in church. Unfortunately Michael was late for the service so we were not able to all sit together as a family.

The rest of Christmas day was spent in doing the present giving thing. There were piles of papers and boxes all over the place as wrapping was torn off the gifts and excited children examined their prize and then searched for the next one. Ally was quite conservative and took her time in opening the gifts. Each child had a huge red bag or stocking with the smaller gifts. I was given two shirts and a pair of shorts, a gift pack of toiletries, socks and a hanging sign for the front of the house. We had a good relaxed morning and afternoon which included a couple of naps on the couch. I washed and cleaned the car in preparation for the next day’s drive.

The following morning was Boxing Day and I collected Richard and Dawn at their home at about 05.00am. We had a reasonably easy drive to Wildcliff with a stop at Wilderness for a sandwich and then at Albertina where we stocked up at the Gekerfde Biltong shop and Richard bought Dawn a Magnetic Bracelet. This Biltong shop we discovered a few years ago and has become a compulsory stop each time we drive this road.

As we drive to WC I receive a phone call from Patrick asking me to “say a few words”. ‘About what?’ I ask. Patrick in his normal vague way tells me that I should talk about myself. While I know that I am an expert on this subject, I decide to talk about family instead.

We refueled in Heidleberg and stocked up on a few provisions at the Spar. As we arrived at Wildcliff we met up with Keith and his family. Keith has taken on the job of manager of WC for a year. He is ex US Air force and has traveled the world for his work. Now at the age of Mid Forties he has been able to take an early retirement and has committed to WC for a year. He has a wife Paula and two children; Abigail (10) and Bryce (6). They have been fixing up the White House and this is now a completely livable home. They are in the process of finishing off the fittings and providing some furnishings. They are presently staying in the Weaver’s Nest but should be able to move into the WH shortly.

Ian tells me that the Aloe that I planted on the Island of the Pond has survived. ‘Let me see’: thinks I. I take a swim in the pond. The top layer of water is warm like a bath but just below the surface the water is quite brisk. And yes, the Aloe is healthy and growing well. Jenny made up a good lunch of salads. Ian suggests that we take a walk up the Fynbos Road. I was stiff from the drive full from eating and happy for some exercise. As we were about to leave, Bryce calls me over to look at a Puff Adder that he had found on their front doorstep of the WH. It was a healthy looking animal and completely relaxed. Keith told us that he saw it move off later.

We hiked up the road for a bit before Paula caught us up with the Bushpig and we drove the rest of the way to the end of the old Wattle forest area. Where the Wattle has been felled, a forest of new saplings are emerging and will have to be sprayed soon. From here we walked up to Ena’s Falls. As we go up Fynbos Road we again see the impact that the clearing of both the pine and the wattle is already making to the reserve.

Laura had been up to Laura’s Peak before and was keen to show us the view from the top. The wind was quite chilly and this again reminded me of my own rule: never walk without a backpack and basics. Ian had some tape and we were able to mark a trail leading up to the Black Rhino Rock (or Dinosaur rock). And then up to Laura’s Peak. It is a short walk but worth the effort as from here you get a good view of the Hidden Valley and down to the Talari Valley.

Bryce is a bright youngster pointing out the Dassie Midden and the various types of Lichen. I have to ease my way down from rock to rock. Bryce simply jumps where my knees would not stand a chance. He feels the chill in the air so lies down on a warm rock out of the wind. On our way down, back to the bakkie, he tripped and fell. He cut his knee but this did not phase him as he was soon back on his feet sprinting downhill. The next time we saw him was at the driver’s seat of the Bushpig.

Jenny again made us a delicious meal of Turkey and salads. I was ambitious and tried to read in bed, but after five minutes my eyes were closed and the book was on my lap unread. The next time that I was conscious was at about 05.30am when I woke up to join Keith for a run. Keith and I jogged down to the stream and then walk/jogged up to the main gate. Here we turned left and jogged down to the quarry where there was a truck parked. Keith says that this truck has been here for months. I had a look and saw that the keys were still in the ignition. I am pretty sure that the truck is not in running order.

We saw two Heron on the field across from us and startled a buck in the bush near to the road. We turned and headed home and then just as we were approaching the WC gate at the weir, Keith pointed out two Reebuck in the road ahead. We also saw a good number of baboon in the oak tree meadow that morning.

After the run I had my shower and a bite to eat. Including this really great Smoothie that Jenny has made from Raspberry, Banana, Yogurt, ice cream and ice cubes. I check the TV for a cricket score and see that the Australians are in the process of giving us a hiding. They scored 394 in their first innings and, at the end of day two, we are at about 150 for 6. I turn off the TV in disgust. I see myself lazing the rest of the day away until we were to leave at about noon when Jill and family were due to arrive. Not so! Ian had other plans for me: Dig a hole for the Yellow Wood tree next to the pond.

I had made some pancakes and burnt a finger on the pan so was a little sensitive to wielding a pick. No Mercy: said Ian. Dig! So we dug a hole for this tree and finally with great difficulty had the tree secure in position. Off I go to wash and make a cup of tea which I intend to enjoy with Richard who is standing on the stoep watching and enjoying my labours.

Not so for the second time. There is a second hole to dig: this time for the creeper in front of the stoep. We hit rock. No trouble says Ian: move the hole to another place. Paula invites Ian to look at Baboon Poo under microscope. An excited Ian leaves me to dig the hole. So now we are on to the third hole of the day. I know that if I did this on a regular basis I could get fit for digging holes but, despite being in the shade, I am sweating and tired. Finally we have the creeper in place and I am able to pack the car and ready to leave. ‘But first my tea’; thinks I.

Not so for the third time! ‘Are you ready to leave?’ asks Ian. I look at him and with fear in my heart, admit that I am. Water the garden! he orders. So still no tea and no feet up on the bench. Eventually I hide myself in a corner, pour some tea and sit down to relax. Jill arrives and we drive off. We had decided to drive to CT via the Gysmans Hoek pass road but as the Bushpig had no petrol we had to turn around and go via Heidleberg. We stop off at the Wimpy for lunch. It was chock-a-block. We order take-away. They mess up the order but we have to leave and head off for CT.

Richard is not feeling that good. Julia is in the car with us. We drive on to Swellendam and phone Jenny to drive straight through where we plan to turn right to Ashton and Robertson. But somehow I mess up the instructions. After a bit of back and forth including chasing another Toyota which stops after we told Jenny to stop we finally drive off towards the N1 where we plan to off load Julia so that she can drive the last bit with Ian to Wellington. Really funny as we drive ahead then wait for Ian a few times. Each time he drives past us and we catch him up and hoot and wave as we pass him. I don’t think he saw us once! We manage to take time to stop off at the Spanspek Plek and buy a few Sweet Melons.

Finally Julia gets into the car with Ian and we drive through to drop Dawn off with her cousin Sue who lives near to Stefan & Nicci. Richard and I have a quick shower (cold for Richard) and put on our smart clothes. We follow Marianne’s (Lala) instructions & arrive at the wedding party which is being held at Marianne’s family home at Welgegund www.welgegund.co.za in Wellington at 18.30 exactly.

Lala’s Parents: Alex and Sheila Camerer live on a wine and olive farm near to Wellington. It is a wonderful home with a lawn where we are greeted with Champagne and snacks. Richard and I are introduced to family members. I almost make the mistake of calling Lala’s sister (Lissy) Marianne but realize just in time that this is a sister. A twin sister I am told later. I am able to sit down with an old friend of Patrick and of Mike Dean; (Margie) and her husband (Ian) plus two children Megan and Rosa. Megan & I find out that we share a birthday. Mine is just 38 years ahead of hers.

While sitting and chatting; a musical trio of a violinist, a flute player and a cello player serenade us with delightful music. Throughout the evening this trio plays in and around the guests. They accompany the background music when it is time to dance and they walk around tables making the evening even more romantic.

I see Shauna. She looks terrific. I am introduced to her husband Trevor and girls: Josie (10) and elder sister and younger brother (Names?). I am really sorry that I did not persuade Ally to come along as Ally loves to meet family. Shauna has a wonderful family and we are able to chat about Lloyd and Judy who I am delighted to hear still live at Little Falls Mooi River. I tell Barbara about this and we determine to try to visit them when we are in KZN for Nippers later in 2009.

Ena, Alice and Steeg arrive. They look good and dressed for the occasion. I am sorry to see that Ian Spence could not make it as he was not feeling his best. Ian, Jenny, Julia and Laura are there and look very smart. The two girls seem to be enjoying being in South Africa and being part of our activities. I love having them around as both of them are mature, intelligent and active young people. Add to that their good looks!

After a period of meeting people and chatting on the lawn we move to the dining area which is a covered stoep area. There is a very long table where Patrick and Marianne sit plus three smaller tables. I am fortunate enough to be on one of the small tables seated with some young people. On my left is Julia (a cousin to Lala) who is studying at Oxford University. I meet Shamus, Julia’s boyfriend. I like Julia: she tells me I look younger than my younger brother! She also tells me that she has rediscovered Christ and now attends the evening services at a vibrant Anglican church in Oxford.

I also sit next to Lissy. Lissy is married to an Ian. I meet him later that evening. And I see some children but lose track of who belongs to whom. The Minister says a short speech and then says the Grace. He does so in Latin, reminding me of my school days. The Grace ends something like Payasim Christim Dominum Nostrum: Amen. We learn that this invites us to the Heavenly Banquet. Later that evening I meet his wife Cecelia. We are served a delicious pastry with tomato mush and then there is a buffet of salmon plus a variety of salad. This is a real treat. I have heard that there is pudding so I avoid seconds.

Meanwhile Sheila makes a speech and tells us a bit about her experience of the couple. I think that the family has reservations about Patrick marrying their lovely daughter. But ultimately have no choice despite the fact that he does funny things like keeping his cap on his head during breakfast. As long as Lala sees the humourous side of Patrick they will be fine. Sheila loves Thomas and that cannot be put aside. Alex seems to be easy going. I have not met the Grandmother but I hear that she is still questioning this strange relationship. Lissy appears happy that Lala is happy. Everyone does a great deal of hugging.

Lala takes us through a very interesting chronological history of her coupling up with Patrick. (I have asked her for her notes). Sarah, a family friend makes an impromptu speech. And I am asked to say my bit as well. I have two points that I have decided to make: firstly it is really good to see Patrick so happy. And Secondly I try to introduce the people who originate in some way from ‘Patrick’s side’. Our Mother: Ena, her sister in Law & best friend: Alice and Alice’s brother Steeg from Sweden. Then there is Shauna, Trevor and their children. Our elder brother Ian, his children Julia and Laura and his wife Jenny. Patrick’s friend Margie and her family. Richard, who kept me company on my drive from PE.

Lissy orders all the men to stand and move four places in a clockwise direction. This applies to the main table only and everyone gets a chance to meet some new people. Then Pudding is served. It is a kind of Baked Alaska with Meringue and ice cream. Yummy! I have some of this while sitting at Richard’s table. Then, while the dancing is going on, I help myself to seconds. To avoid looking like the glutton that I am, I move to another table for this helping.

I encounter Rebecca (mother of Julia) and daughter Rebecca. Alex joins us and announces that we are sitting over the drain. We decide to move outside to the lawn for coffee. Julia and I dance. This has been quite an outing for us. The evening has been quite enchanting. The weather played its part as it was a clear, starry sky with little or no dew. Lissy and her team have run the logistics of the evening with precision. The meal was both healthy and tasty.

Both Richard & I have met a number of people who seem to fit into Marianne’s family in some way. Richard had a lady at his table who seems to think that he was a Hit Man and wanted him to take care of some problem people. Alex and Sheila are being shipped out to Bulgaria for a four year period to set up a South African Embassy there. I will have to look up on the map to find Bulgaria. Sheila, who is a lawyer, works in the Government as a Politician. Alex tells us that he will have to commute back to RSA to see to his farming activities. His son, who I did not meet, will be taking care of some of the business aspects as well. They are having to learn Bulgarian which is similar to Russian with a funny alphabet.

I have been a really good boy and only had my one glass of wine that I used for toasting and am quite fit for the hour drive home when Richard and I decide that the witching hour is upon us. We greet as many people as we can and head off back to Stellenberg where we flop into bed for a 5 hour sleep. Nicci & Stefan Steenkamp operate their Photographic business from their home in Stellenberg. www.zara-zoo.com

Nicci and Stefan have recently launched a wedding planner called the little pink book. The launch in Cape Town was a huge success and demand for the book both from Retailers such as Executive book and individual orders far exceeded expectations. As a result they are presently in the process of launching the Gauteng version.



We arranged to pick Dawn up in Wynberg at cousin Joan at 06.00am. Richard takes out his PC and finds the map that takes us directly to her home. After coffee and a chat we set off for the N2. Richard is in doubt of my ability to navigate our way out but finally concedes a mutter of agreement when he sees that we are on the N2 and not lost. I look out for a BP filling station and only find one in Gordon’s Bay.

Now on the road, we encounter fairly heavy traffic. But we are not rushed and I am not impatient. We have decided to stop in Albertina again as I need to stock up on Biltong for Gerald. Richard wants to purchase some of the Magnetic Bracelets for his Canadian Family. We listed to the wireless for a Cricket score. The Protea’s are playing Australia at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG). And to our amazement and great delight we hear that JP Duminee and Dale Steyn have steered us to an incredible 465 and that the Aussies are now going to have to play for a draw. This is a three match series and we have already won the first.

Near to the Biltong shop we find a shop selling toasted sandwiches. I have a toasted Cheese and Tomato and a Chicken Mayonnaise. Both sandwiches are great quality. This shop adjoins the filling station and while it does not look like much there is a nice play area, a place to walk the dog a good Biltong shop and a liquor store that boasts a wide variety of wines. It is perfect as a mid way between PE and CT.

The coffee we order is similar to that which we used to be served by the South African Railways when traveling distances. It is thick strong coffee with bits in it. Dawn tossed her coffee out. Unfortunately the food does not agree with Richard and again he is not feeling his best. Long periods of sitting seem to make Richard feel very uncomfortable and he has ongoing back pain.

The traffic remains heavy and I am able to ask Dawn to take over the driving for a while. In the back seat I lay down and fall fast asleep. As we approach Knysna we are in Bumper to Bumper traffic. We refuel and from here we make our way through a constant flow of cars and trucks to home. My family has been on the beach and enjoying the slides at McArthur Baths.

I drop Dawn and Richard off at their home where they are staying with friend Brenda. Brenda is a Fisherman and currently in Knysna where she is attempting to source a supper from the sea. I am glad to be home. We make a Seafood Paella for supper and turn in early. Stefan & I go out for an early morning run on the promenade and a swim at Hobie Beach the following morning.

It is Monday morning and I know that my office will be quiet and I will have to be creative in organizing a full day. As I get to work I see that the cricket has now taken an even more dramatic turn. The day’s Cricket in Melbourne start at 01.00am our time and now at about 09.00am we have bowled the Aussies out for just 240 and need something like 183 runs to win. And we have a full day to go. Graham Smith scores a steady 30 runs before stumps and so, with a day in hand, and no wickets down, we have to score just over 150 runs. The following day they won the match creating an historic first time ever to win a Series in Australia. Ian dropped J & L off at CT airport to fly back to New York and he & Jenny drive back v through the Hugenot Pass. They stop in Robertson at an antique shop and purchase a Chest of Drawers for WC which they load into the Bushpig.























The wedding invitation:

Saturday 27th December 2008
6.30pm until late
Sundowners, Dinner and Dancing
Dress is “festive”

With love,
Marianne and Patrick

For catering purposes please RSVP by 1 December to let us know you are definitely coming; email, marianne.camerer@gmail.com or 083 2668316
Directions to Welgegund (www.welgegund.co.za):
(Coming from Cape Town, 75 km on good roads, and 50 minutes)
Leaving Cape Town, follow the N1 north towards Paarl. Prior to reaching Paarl, take the off-ramp on to the R44 to Wellington. Stay on this road until you come to a T-junction. You are now in Wellington, on Champagne Drive, with a cemetery on your right. Turn left into Piet Retief Street (R301), and at the first robot – with the Andrew Murray Church on your left – turn right into Church Street. This is the road leading to Bainskloof (R301). After exactly 1 km from the Church, you will see the Wellington Museum on your left. Turn right into Berg Street – indicated on the pavement. After crossing three 4-way stops, continue for 1½ km through agricultural land until you see a small farm school – Saal Charl Cillier – on your right. After about 100 m, a dirt road goes off to the left. Welgegund is signposted. Follow the dirt road to the end – approximately 1 km – into Welgegund.


Peter Giddy
peter@wildcliff.org
December 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment