Saturday, October 13, 2018

MEIRINGSPOORT 2018.

A 21KM  OR 12.50KM RUNNING EVENT HELD IN A BEAUTIFUL GORGE NOT FAR FROM OUDTSHOORN.

This is an event which you should make time to do.  Even if you cannot run; you should at least plan to drive through this magnificent valley of rocks and waterfalls. There is a stop about 10k from De Rust where you can read about the Poort and the History of the roads.  Here too there is a walkway to a 30m waterfall.


Peter Giddy Guided Tours
peter.giddy@gmail.com


Meiringspoort 2018
This is the name given to a 21k run that takes place in October each year.   It is a run that I have done a number of times and I simply love the whole thing of this race.  The build up in our trianing;  The accommodation which has varied from small BnB to Kleinplaas when we had our family joining us to this year I camped.

So when a couple of the Mill Park Running Group suggested that we do Meiringspoort this year I decided there and then that I would be doing it again.  So when Registration opened on line I was able to secure an entry and committed the day on my activity diary.
About 3 months before the event a couple of us decided to start up a "Training Support Group" where each person in the group would report their training for that week and this would then be shared with the rest of the Whatsup Group.
This worked well for me and I was able maintain a steady schedule over the 15 weeks prior to the event.

I had hoped to find another runner  to travel with me but that did not work out.  Edie, who was good company the whole way, drove down to Meiringspoort with me and met her husband, Dave in De Rust.  They then left for George.
I had reserved a camping site so packed the tent and stretcher and had a great set up just above where all the registration and activity took place.  It also meant that I was within walking distance of where the trucks (Lorries) left for the start. 

 My tent was quite cosy with my stretcher and sleeping bag.
 The tent works well and is quick and easy to set up.
 I meet up with Stephany and Anton and Liesl and Frank at the registration area.
 Carel Bezuidenhout is the announcer.  We first met a number of years ago when he was compere for the Dryland Traverse that John and I did.
 Kelly is also running the 21.  Here she is with her family -- Brett; Daniel (who is in the same class as our Joshua) and Alex.
 Mike Dean and his family -- Debbie; Ross; Catherine and Jenny.  Some of them are doing the 12.5km event.
 Julian and Margie with Catherine and Richard.  Margie and Richard are doing the 12.5k
 Julian's daughter, Liza with her friend Kerri in the Ostrich Truck (Lorrie).
 We arrive at the start and begin the process of disembarkation from the Ostrich Trucks.
 The Lorries have two trailers and both are full of runners.
 Liza and her friends Warren and Kerri
 Andrew Jonas is running fit and taking part in all kinds of events.
 Two of the three Achilleans that I would meet today -- Linda and Carol Anne.  Carol is doing her 4th Meirings and I remember clearly when she did her first ever 21k at this same venue.
 Andrea and her friend Tasha who she often speaks about.
 Andrea and Ross with their friend Claire who is a seasoned Dryland Traverse Runner.  Andrea went on to run a 1.51 today which is 14 minutes faster than her previous run.
 Crowds at the start of Meiringspoort.  The sun was just begining to emerge.
 The first 14k would be partly shaded which a promise of warm sunshine ahead of us.
 Katherine was the third Achillean who I would see this morning.
 Lisa with a friend Jessica.
 I simply love the rockfaces that present themselves as we run.
 The sun warms us up .
 The run is basically downhill for most of the way.   It is only in the final 3k that there is a bit of an uphill.
 The cliff faces around us are just so interesting
 Kelly and Liza running together at this stage.
 Friends on the run.
 Back into the shade but by now we are warmed up .
 Angela Rogers is a person who is a regular parkrunner and takes part in these events.  Gavin has, today, gone ahead and would finish with a credible 1.40.
At about this stage we have done 14k and I meet with Wayne (who I met on the Tour de Addo). he points out our time and I do a quick calculation. I realise that we could finish close to 2 hours if we keep up the momentum.  So I determine to put my head down and run through the tired body and legs that I am starting to experience.
No more stopping for pics and chats.
I run hard.  There is a fairly strong wind in the valley but this has been mainly in our favour.  I start counting down the Kms -- 7; 6 and 5 to go.  Not letting up when I get to a water table or slight uphill.
We get to the last river crossing -- Spook Drif with about 3k to go.  Now there is a bit of uphill and I look down at the tar and continue running.
With just over a kay to go I hear Liza's voice and she tells me that she has had me in her sights for the past 5km.  That is always a good motivator and she is in the stride so pulls away from me as we cross the bridge leading up to the finish.
The road is steep and I am not able to stay with her so Liza finishes about 50m ahead of me.  I am quite satisfied with the mornings run.  I managed to run non stop start to finish which is always a goal for myself at events like this.

I walk straight up to my tent and strip for a shower.  The water in the showers is cold.  I am able to soap down some of the trail sweat and grime and that is all I need to feel refreshed.
Back at the tent the wind has now picked up and many of the campers are pulling their tents down.  I do the same and pack everything into the car.
Back to where all the runners are relaxing in  the main tent.  I meet up with some of them, buy myself a hamburger and soon after that I leave for home.  I drive non stop and get home by 14.30.

Over 3000 finishers in both 21 and 12k events.

Mark Alderman 1.28
Liza Kingston 1.30
Werner DeLange  1.33
Ross Dyer  1.38
Andrew Jonas 1.40
Gavin Rogers  1.40
Claire vd Nest 1.46
Tracy Gous 1.52
Andrea Dyer 1.52
Brian Barendse (Achilles)  1.54
JoAnne Forson  1.57
Liza (Nel) Muller  2.00
Peter Giddy 2.00 Position 551 of 1852 finishers and 5th in over 65 group.
Angela Rogers 2.03
Wayne Thompson  2.04
Katherine Morris  2.07
Kelly Holmes  2.07
Marietjie Pietersen 2.12
Linda Harwood  2.13
Carol Anne Cash  2.13
Doris Gerber  2.14
Anton Kapp MPRG 2.18
Natasha Close  (Tasha) Aspen 2.22  30
Liesl De Lange  2.27
Stefany vd Westhuizen 2.27
Tamarin Ellis and friend Kerri (first 21k) who finish in 2.59

In the 12.5kay
Margie Nel  1.25
Richard Pearse  1.23
Mike Dean  1.31








No comments:

Post a Comment