Saturday, July 7, 2018

Knysna Forest Marathon -- July 2018 -- with Peter Giddy Guided Tours


Knysna Forest Marathon -- July 2018 -- with Peter Giddy Guided Tours
Peter is a professional Tourist Guide.

Join Peter for a variety of experiences in and around Port Elizabeth

  • Addo Elephant Wildlife Reserve
  • Garden Route Adventures
  • Kragga Kamma and other private wildlife Reserves
  • Hiking and walking trails of Port Elizabeth
  • City; Cultural; Historical and Township Tours
  • Airport; Hotel and Wildlife reserve Transfers



Knysna Forest Marathon Saturday 7th July 2018

I signed up for this event a number of months ago.  I do not take part in the 42k Marathon as I prefer the shorter 21k half marathon as a completely doable distance. 

Friday morning Kevin and Viv pick me up and we drive through to Plettenberg Bay where we stop to look at the Hill House Flat which is presently undergoing renovations.
There is still a lot of cleaning up and finishing to be done before it becomes livable.
Kevin and Viv have registered ... Kevin will be sitting this one out as he has a foot injury.
 At Julian and Lesley.  Julian brings out this wonderful red wine while Lesley prepares a delicious soup.
 Julian sticks to the KWV white with his supper.
 Lesley makes a scrumptious Spaghetti and Savoury Mince.
My hosts on Friday evening.  Julian and Lesley who is the sister of Dawn's good friend, Brenda.
We then continue on to Knysna where we do the Race Registration.  As always this goes off smoothly.  The organisers are very fussy about who is allowed to register and you have to do this in person.   So if for any reason you have entered the event and are unable to take part, then you completely forfeit your entry, T-shirt and anything else you may have ordered as you are not there in person.

Once we have registered we drive to the Lagoon Lookout where we have a picnic lunch that Viv prepared for us -- Boiled Eggs; Buttered Baguette bread; spicy chicken and cucumber.
After lunch Kevin drops me at Lesley and Julian's home and they continue to their accommodation on Leisure Isle.

Lesley makes us a delicious dinner of Muscle; Butternut; leak and spices soup and then a Spaghetti bolognese washed down with some Red Wine.  We watch a bit of soccer and Tennis before I get into bed for an early night.
On the Taxi on the way to the start of the run -- near to the Diepwalle Forest Station.
I meet up with  Bennie Heyneke.  He remembers me from a Training run that we did at Seaview.  Bennie owns a Hardware Store in Seaview which he has built up into a good business with some healthy contracts with Builders.  He does all kinds of adventure and trail runs.
Julian is very kind and takes me to the place where you can take a taxi to the start at Diepwalle. The whole organisation is well coordinated and everyone is taken safely to the start area. But it is freezing as always.  This year, the sponsors have supplied us with good quality blankets. The 42k runners leave at 7am and I am able to take one of their discarded blankets.
I then take off my warm clothes, pack these into my tog bag and wrap myself up. With these big red blankets we are warm and I am able to make my way to the start line.  There is still almost an hour to the start so I sit myself down and try to relax.  But now my toes are freezing. Ah Well.  Nothing to do but sit and wait.
  The sponsors provide runners with Red Blankets... They are of good quality and keep us warm in a 4 degree morning while we wait for the start.
 We are relatively close to the start.  To the right is a vast sea of runners lining up to start the event.

I wrap myself up to try to stay warm.  It is my toes that feel the cold the most.
Eventually 8am arrives and we start off up the first few hills.  I discarded my warm blanket and so am now in my running vest only.  And my hands and face are taking strain in this cold.  It is not long before we reach the sunny area and I am able to thaw out.  Now I am glad that I did not carry any additional clothing.
So the run is on.  The first about 8km is basically up hill.  Various people pass me -- Lynne Woods representing Clarendon Park;  Samantha who we know from Erin at Summerstrand Lifesaving; Leigh from Tour de Addo; Darry Wicht and Darryl North who are running the 42 come past us.
At last some sunshine to warm us up. 
 Perhaps you can see the long line of runners along the tree line on the other side of the valley
 Looking across to the lagoon and the heads.  This is possible as the forest has been cut in many places
Entering the Simola Golf Estate. Still a number of hills to take into account.
This is a great trail and route.  We run on Gravel Roads from most of the time and then at 8km we turn down onto a narrow forest pathway where you need to be particularly careful to avoid tripping on the uneven and stony surface.
I am having fun.  In fact I am becoming quite emotional as I remember previous runs and people.  Graham Richards and Stuart Brown -  Kelly and Andrea;  Graham; Bob; Tremaine; Kenny and many others who have spent time with me on this trail.
I see all around me are runners who are clearly a lot younger.  Then there are the 40+ and the 50+ age groups.  And only a few 60+.  So again I feel a sense of privilege to be taking part in the Knysna Half Marathon.

So eventually we arrive at the Simola Golfing Estate.  From here at last we can say it is downhill.  But what a down.  Steep and tough to keep running.  My legs are tired and I struggle to keep running at any pace.  Alan Campbell greets me from the side of the road.
At the bottom of the hill we have about 4km to go.  So I decide now is the time for some determined running.  I pass Alf Zemkhe and then we are on the N2 heading West.  Gavin and Angela are on the opposite side of the road.  Under the N2 and now we are heading towards the festivities and the finish.  The final Km and I push as hard as I am able.  Running into the last 100m; Kevin greets me and I finish in 2.18.
I had hoped for about 2.15 so am quite satisfied as it is the run and not the finish that brings me to these events.
 Finishing the event in 2.18.  I am pretty much tired and a little nauseous.  A burger helps to settle me and I sit for a while just getting myself ready for the drive home.
 Kelsey;  Benjy and Jason at the finish.
 Viv finishes her first ever 21k
 Graham completed and qualified for Two Oceans 2019.  Tremaine, I hear later, did not make the 5 hour cut off.
Peter Pohlmann drives us home.  In the car are Ricardo and Michael Botha .
I see Kelsey; Benjy and Jason who have finished.  Sean Balshaw and his family are there.  I make my way to the Tog Bag tent and buy myself a Hamburger.  I then sit down to watch as runners and people pass us by.  Michael Mof Botha, a real loyal Achillean,  finds me and explains the arrangements for going back with Peter Pholmann.  He had an unfortunate fall in the forest and hit his head on the gravel. Cathy Ives also fell and had to retire from the race.  I meet up with Desmond Zibi who has won his age category.  Viv and Kevin find me.  Viv finished her first ever 21k in 2.33 which is a great time for this tough event..
Graham Channon finishes in time for a Two Oceans Qualifier.  I hear later that Tremain and Kenny did not make the 5 hour cut off. Graham Nel finished but also past the 5 hour mark.
I understand that something like 8500 for the half and about 800 for the 42 took part today.
I sit and sleep and relax in the sun and then eventually Michael calls me and we meet up with PP and head back home.  Stop at Storms River for a burger and Coffee.   I am a bit dehydrated and try to drink as much as I can.

I receive an SMS to give me my time and to invite me to next years event.

Graham who qualified for Two Oceans today. Peter who kindly gave me a lift home this afternoon; Kenny and Tremaine who finished outside of the 5 hour cut off required to qualify for Two Oceans 56k.  And Desmond who won his age group in the 21k
 Michael; Graham; Kenny; Tremaine and Graham Nel showing the shield he won for completing the 42km.
Kenny; Graham; Peter;  ,,,, ;Tremaine  and Desmond at the end of the Knysna Forest Marathon.
Cathy who had a nasty fall and had to bail with Anche who is getting stronger and stronger.

Some Results
The winner of the 21 is Lloyd Bosman in 1.06
Keegan Cooke is 8th in 1.13;  His brother Jarryd is 14th in 1.08.
13th is Desmond Zibi.  He finishes in 1.17
Philip Karp does a good 1.48
Camryn Riddle at 1.59
Anthony Adler at 1.59
Lynne Woods MPRG -- 2.01
Natalie and Lauren Billson at 2.06
Kelsey Vaughn and Jason Collier at 2.06
Stuart Allaway MPRG  2.06 and Maryka  2.13
Shannon Bradford  2.08
Samantha Mukheiber  2.09
Gavin and Angela Rogers  2.13
Benjy Nelson  2.14
Ricardo De Andrade who was in the car with us on the way home  2.17
I finished in 2.18 in Position 2052 and age position 29th of 169 Age Category.
Rachel Giddy  2.25
Malcolm and Riana Figg   2.25
Doris Gerber  2.25
Rusty and Karin Muller  2.26
Neil Calder   2.27
Robin Coyle Downing Achilles  2.29
Bennie Heyneke   2.32
Lesley Maggot Achilles 2.29 And Rodney  2.55
Viv Mitchell   2.33  Position 3112 of  5269 finishers and 316 of 683 Age Category.
Sandy Stock (Robin's wife) ran a 2.38.
Michael Botha  2.40
Trevor Hawkins  2.46
Brent and Hanna Werth  2.49
Janice Giddy  2.55
Jenna MPRG (Jannakamay) Jefferies and her monther Christina Eckstein  3.11
Octavia Boshoff  3.13
The last official finisher on the results finished in 4.40.
5269 finishers in the 21k

2873 or 55% are female runners.

The 42 kay has 726 finishers.  236 or 33% are Female.

6000 finishers compared to the number that the announcer said 8500 competitors.  That means that 2500 (30%) people did not pitch or did not finish.






No comments:

Post a Comment