Saturday, March 31, 2018

Two Oceans Marathon 2018 .. Cape Town ..... I am running the Half for the tenth time this year.


Two Oceans Half Marathon
Peter Giddy  31st March 2018

If you are visiting Port Elizabeth and would like Tours.  Anything from Cape to Garden Route; Wildlife to Cultural and Adventure Tours.  I am a Registered Guide and enjoy meeting people and showing them some of the places you would not normally be able to enjoy.
Contact me at peter.giddy@gmail.com
Peter Giddy Guided Tours.


Thursday 29th
Barbara and I are on our way to walk the Camino from Porto; Portugal to Santiago de Compestella in Spain.
So we are packed and ready to leave and at 5.30am we leave our house in Port Elizabeth.  It is dark when we leave and minimal traffic.  We stop at Jeffreys Bay for a Milo but the Coffee Shop is not yet open at 6.30.  We continue our journey to Storms River where we stop at the Mug and Bean.  Here we meet up with Brett and Kelly.  Kelly is part of the MPRG and also running the half as is Brett.

On the way we were listening to the news. On the way we had come across a Road Accident where a truck with a load of concrete bricks had been involved in a collision with another vehicle on the Van Stadens Bridge.  This had slowed traffic but nothing serious.  But soon after we passed this area, a group of protesters had blockaded the road with tyres and anyone leaving later than about 6am would not have been able to pass on their way towards Cape Town.  We later hear that this disruption to traffic flow was eventually cleared at about 11am.

At Storms River Bridge I met Garreth Jacobson and he told me that he had just managed to edge pass the tyres and that he had left PE at 6am.  Also there was Philip. A man who lives in Jeffreys and who used to run with Justin Strydom.  He is attempting his 27th Oceans.

I have had a period of six weeks of no beverages except water.  So this morning I have my first Milo since starting this discipline.  We continue towards CT and as we reach Plettenberg Bay it begins to rain.  There is a steady rain from here right through to Somerset West.  Our next stop is Mossel Bay where I have a sandwich and Milo again.

And then on to Riviersonderend.  All the way we are listening to the drama unfold in the PE Municipality where there are political forces in play as there are supposed to be motions to unseat our Mayor. Athol Trollip of the DA.  Anyway the council meeting is disrupted with shouting and singing and eventually the meeting is abandoned and no vote of No Confidence takes place.

When we get to Sir Lowrys Pass there is such heavy mist that driving becomes a really dangerous thing to be doing.  Trucks and other vehicles are driving too fast for these conditions.  Thousands of people are leaving Cape Town and the road is a nightmare.  Finally we reach Somerset West and then Cape Town.  We drive directly to the CTICC where I find my way to the Registration area.  I think that this is the first year where Race Numbers are being printed as we request them.  Previously we would stand in lines of Alphabetical Order.  So I stand in a line and start chatting to a lady. her husband joins us and he is running his 20th half so registered in the Blue Number club area.  He explains that we can do the same.
 The CTICC is a hub of activity at the Registration area
 Fortunately I am able to Register at the Blue Number Club area. On the Computer is Kirsten who was so friendly and helpful to me.
Thousands of runners registering today.  And there will be even greater numbers on Friday.
So I walk across to the shorter line of the Blue Number Club and am soon being helped by Kristen.  I explain to her the situation of Stefany (MPRG) who entered and could not come due to an injury.  Kristen is very helpful and once I give her Stefany's ID, she allows me to take a Goody Bag and a T shirt for Steff.
2013.... That year I finished side by side with Sasha Botha.  Stefan and Elmarie had finished a bit ahead of us.
Ronel puts this pic of Kathleen finishing the St Albans 10k ...  This will be Kat's first attempt at the 56 Ultra.

Barbara and I drive through to Nicky in the 16.30 traffic.  Today it has taken us nearly 12 hours ... Four stops on the road, Rainy driving conditions and fairly heavy traffic on an Easter Weekend and the Registration make up the long day.  Fortunately Werner is a cook and he makes a delicious Supper of Potato and  Leek Soup.

Fri Bday -- Children to the Movies.  Barbara and Nicky to the shops.  Werner and I chill at home.
Later Ally and I drive to Patricks home.  He is in Plett.  We collect the keys from the Neighbour Paul.
 Michael (Mof) Botha and I meet up at the start of the run.
 Cindy; Joanne and Peter at the start of the 21k.  These two girls had a really good run today.
 I think that there are something like 15 000 runners starting the 21 this morning.
I understand that there were
Saturday 31st.  I have not slept well but am ready to start my walk to the start of the run at 4.50.  As my experience is from previous years -- it is a very easy walk to the start.  I simply follow everyone else and am soon in the starting area.
I meet up with Cindy and Joanne and Michael (Mof) Botha.  And those are the only people from PE who I recognise on the run today.  The wait at the start moves along quite quickly. Patricia Delille (Cape Town Mayor) welcomes everyone. The national anthem is played (And I think of how Trevor Noah talks about the National Anthem) and then, at 5.50, at the sound of the gun and Fish Horn the first group goes off.

I determine to run the whole way.  No walking. I hear some people talking about congestion but for me, there is easy enough space for us to run at the pace we set for ourselves.  After a short while we start the first climb up to the top (4km) of the "Ladies Mile" or the M3.
Its great to look down in the early morning light (full moon, but it sets in the west behind the mountains) towards Muizenberg. The lights of the suburbs and the mountains make a wonderful view.  Down we run until we turn off the M3 at 7km.  After just one more Km we do the turn around where we can see fellow runners -- Again I see Cindy, Joanne and Michael.

From here it is a short run to the 10km (65 minutes) which is the start of the Southern Cross 3km hill.  I continue to shuffle just above a walk.  Runners all around are chatting and encouraging each other.  The Band in Green plays for the runners.  Not exactly winners of America's got Talent but a real pleasure for us to hear the music as we run up this hill.
At the top of Southern Cross we are at 13km and now have the tough 3km ahead of us with sharp undulations and a camber that makes it difficult to maintain a pace.
The band at 16km.  Not America's got Talent.  But I love the music and the beat.
At 16km we find the second of the two musical interludes as the men in Green play for us.  Sharp down hill and working hard to try to maintain a steady running pace.  Finally we are at 18km and just three kays to go.  At this time we can also see the marker boards for the 56km Ultra.  I think about our running friends from PE who are on this run.  And am so glad that I have made the decision to not attempt such a grueling event again.

Up towards the University and counting off the last few kays.  I pass Herman (Biathle in PE) and am determined that he will not pass me.  So I am running as hard as my tired legs will allow.  At last ... Just one kay to go.  First there is the last of the hills.  Over the last three kays I have been passing others with very few people passing me.  I had an initial goal of 2.10 but when I went through 10k at 65min I knew that I would not make that time.  So now I am trying for 2.15 -- I dont look at a watch nor do I ask others for the time.  Just run as hard as you can at the time.
 Just scraped in under 2.16 for the 21 this morning.  Not that it makes any difference as it is the experience of the run that makes Two Oceans a special day.
I have finished -- and am thinking of the runners who, running the 56kay, have something like 4 hours of running to do before they too are at the University Grounds.
Finally into the University Grounds and I hear the announcer saying something about 2.15 so I put me head down and run to the last timing mat.  Then I look up and see that I have finished just under 2.16.  Yay..  I have, today, run my 10th X 21k at Two Oceans.  This means that I receive a second Blue Number.  Not the double that you receive for running 20 X Ultras but at least I have a second Blue Number 1267.  My 56k blue number is 1044.

I am tired and foot sore.  After the formalities of having my photo taken with Anne Margolin (Issy is running the 56) I make my way up the stairs to the road above the field and there I find the Shuttle Bus that will take us back to the Start Area.  In the bus I meet Mahir and he offers to give me a lift to Patricks house.
Kelly Holmes who struggled with an injury today and her group of friends from PE
Nicky sets out an Easter Table.

Ally and I shower and then drive back to Nicky's home in Durbell.  Barbara and Nicky are arranging a lunch and Braai with the Easter Eggs.

Geoff; Graham; Peter Pholman; Kenny; Tremaine and Liz Prins.

Other results that I receive.
Kobus 6.47
Andy  6.59
Stuart and Maryka both finish.
Graham Channon and Kenny Barwood DNF
Roger Trader; Alan Taylor and Geoff Roberts; Tremaine Wesson all finish.
Liz Prins and Katie Morris; Garreth Jacobson and Christine Claasen all Finish.
Samantha Douglas 21k -- 2.24
Kathleen Flannagan finished her first attempt at the Ultra in 6.54.

I have been following Kat recently as she does Ironman; Triathlons and local runs.  Kay has one Oceans Half and this year attempted the Ultra.
This is her comment after the run:
Sjoe.. That was a tough race.  Never experienced anything like that before. And not sure if I want to again.  
I finished in 6.54 and honestly wasnt sure if I would make it.  I lost my friends along the way and then the 6.40 bus passed me. Then the 6.50 Bus. Then the 7 Hour Bus and I knew I was screwed.  And it was difficult running alone.  But anyway.  I eventually managed to pass the 7 hour bus on the Constantia downhill.  .. What a relief. 
Fortunately I have no injuries to report. Except sore muscles, a slightly blistered foot and a major headache.   






No comments:

Post a Comment