Monday, May 2, 2011

MAY 2011




MAY 2011

BEACHFRONT RUNNERS BLURRY PICS
ALLY HOCKEY AT OLD GREY
JULIA HOCKEY AT PIRATES
JOHN KOTZE SURPRISE 60TH BIRTHDAY PARTY
MOTHERS DAY
MICHAEL IN CAPE TOWN
HUGH GLOVER PREACHES ON PSALM 23 AND HOW TO DEAL WITH TOUGH TIMES
REPLACEMENT ID BOOK
ELECTION DAY
ALLY HOCKEY IN GRAHAMSTOWN
SUZANNE PARTY 5TH BIRTHDAY AND ADRIENNE 60TH
RACHEL GIDDY COMES TO STAY FOR TWO WEEKS
MICHAEL HAS A PET SCAN AND BARBARA GOES TO CAPE TOWN
JOSHUA, DANIEL AND AARON PLAY SOCCER
MIA THIRD BIRTHDAY
JACQUI GOES CAMPING WITH FRIENDS


MONDAY 2ND MAY 2011
Having returned from the Prince Albert Half Marathon yesterday I joined up with the Beach Front Runners this morning. Collected Adrienne who had also recently returned from EL; All Girls hockey tournament. Collegiate (Danielle) did well to reach the top four and had some of the most exciting matches in the tournament. On the run I was nice and tired and stayed at the back. I did not run around the Admiralty route but turned short at 2nd Avenue.

On the run this morning: Peter, Adrienne, Sjani, Andrew, Gerald, Pat & Ronel, Susan, Suzanne.







Had a great short swim afterwards and tried to take some pics of the group. I think that the early morning sun blurred the pics. I took the pics with my phone camera and I suppose that it is not the very best of camera's.

This week I went off to Queenstown on Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday Morning I was back in PE for the run in the morning. Friday evening 6th May It was John Kotze's Surprise Birthday Party. Cheryl arranged for a marquee at Ralph's house. A whole group of John's friends arrived early; including some Achillean's: Bruce and Paulette; Tom and Jean and Percy, John was totally surprised when he arrived at the party. He had been hoodwinked into thinking that this was a "Cooking Lesson". It was a great evening; Ally had some of her friends there and also looked like she was having fun. This was a Mexican evening. Lots of alcohol including the Margeritta's and Tequila's. Ralph cooked up a storm; Ribs, fish and mexican chicken amoungs other dishes. Well done Cheryl; this was a huge success.

Saturday morning we were back on the beach for our morning run. Adrienne, Sjani, Andre, Mike, Pat & Gerald, Suzanne, Annie and John. A really good little group. Suzanne, Sjani and I did the Admiralty way route and Adrienne came to meet us.

As I ran down the Strandfontien road where there are no pavements, I considered how lucky we are in Port Elizabeth to have pavements to run on. There is just a short section between 2nd avenue and admiralty way where we are vulnerable running on the road or we can run on a slopy sort of grass area. In JHB the runners are faced with this problem all over. And in townships it is even worse as they have no street lighting and no pavements where they are safe to run. This week we ran down Target Kloof where there is no street lighting on the bottom section and it is quite dangerous as we cannot see where we are going and the motorists come fast around the corner. The more I think about this problem the more I realise how blessed we are in PE withour places we can run.

We passed Ron and Elmarie & Ben running the opposite direction. And had our swim at Hobie beach after the run. The water is still easily warm enough to swim in. Lynne Pask was also swimming this morning.

It had started to rain the last two days; the whole of PE is celebrating after months of almost no rain this would be the best rains we have had in many months. Ally had a Hockey Match. They played against Priory and totally dominated the game winning 8;0. But had to play in the rain. Easy to catch colds and flu in this weather. Barbara, Ally and I spent the rest of the day indoors listening to the heavy downpours of rain and enjoying a butternut soup.

Sunday 8th May. It is Mothers day today. Ally has bought her Mom a plant and some chocs. Barbara has a good lie in with some morning eats.




Monday 9th May Rowena and I drove through to Middelburg for the day. This is a tough day's work with 700kays (nearly 8 hours) of driving and 6 hours of work in the shop. As we drove past the Kirkwood area I was reminded that a Grey Boy, Mother and father were involved in an accident here last weekend. A Kudu hit the car. The Boy and the Mother died and the father is Critical. We must be so careful in this area. I did something illegal: I cut a sapling of a Spekboom. I want to see if it is possible to grow this in the garden. Tuesday 10.05.2011 I planted the sapling in the garden. Let's see what happens.

Tuesday morning we had an interesting run: Jacqui, Ronel, Sjani, Margie, Colin and I ran in a Lightening and thunder storm. This does not happen often in PE so it was quite scary but also a bit of an adventure.

Thursday 12th Barbara flew to Cape Town. Michael was to have a scan today. It was Joshua's Birthday as well. And Sauls Birthday later in the week. The scan shows that Michael has developed growths again and will have to undergo a Pet Scan and then surgery to remove the "Nodules".

Friday afternoon I collected Ally and her friend Megan Clarkson who slept over. Julia had two of her friends over for supper - which she made -- and also had a sleep over. Ally and Megan walked to Grey where they spent the evening watching Hockey. I was able to join them a little later and watched as Grey first team scored a 2-1 victory in a real display of team work. These matches are well supported with a crowded supporter section of both students and parents.

Michael has taken his family for an outing on a boat in Table Bay. Here is a stunning pic of Jessica, Lene with Daniel and Michael with Joshua.


Saturday morning 14th May: I was up early for a beach run: Andre; Suzanne; Sjani; Adrienne; Adrian; Lawrence; Susan John & Anne were part of the group. Ron had joined us but when he had bike trouble and Lyn would not be able to cycle along then he had decided to go for a walk. John is struggling with Asthma and turned back early. We ran hard this morning: Up Walmer Boulevard and along Strandfontein Road. All along the road are posters promoting the upcoming elections.

I have unfortunately lost my ID book. The Municipal Elections are taking place on Wednesday 18th. Andre and I were not able to keep up with Sjani and Suzanne as we ran down the Admiralty Way. By the time we ran along the promenade from Summerstrand back to Hobie I was sweating and battling to stay with the group. But the swim afterwards made the effort worthwhile. It is still easily warm enough to have a swim without feeling a biting cold. This run is really Adrienne's as she has been the person holding it together. This evening is the MPRG annual dinner.

Terry Billson collected Ally and Megan from our house and took them to Hockey at Westering. Today was supposed to be hockey at Graaff Reinet. The Collegiate team played well and beat the Westering Team 4-0. Our poor Goal Keeper has had very little ball time over the past two games. Today she had just one touch of the ball and the previous game against the Priory the opposition only managed to enter the 20 meter area once and never came close to scoring.

I dropped Ally and Megan off back at home where Julia was just preparing to leave for her match at Addo. Julia is really into playing hockey for Pirates and has made some good friends here. Today they lost their match but enjoyed a Braai at Pirates.

Ally and Megan walked to Mc Donalds for an ice cream while I went to work for a short while. They then walked across to Grey to watch some Rugby and Hockey. I joined them a little later to watch the Second and Third team beat Queens College. I sat on "my own" but was soon joined by Roger Fraser, Kay van onselen (And Gavin Mc Nish) and chatting to a number of other parents who appear to know my name but who I really cannot place. I had to leave before the first team game: Ally had a League Hockey match at NMMU.

Terry Billson collected us. We sat with a number of supporting parents enjoying a glass of wine which is now the second time that we have done this. It becomes a good social evening. Robin Fourie and Ronwyn were there. Belinda Jordan and Adrienne Wilson daughters play in the Collegiate first team as well as the league events. They have both just returned from a trip to Holland where they had played hockey for the school.

Ally received her Old Grey Uniform this evening. The girls were a little upset as the skirts do not have the built in shorts (Skorts). Our team played well and after the PEG's had scored the first goal replied with a leveler in the first half and a pair of goals in the second half. But the game was abandoned later on when it was found that no one had access to the ligh switch and it was too dark to continue. So this game will have to be rescheduled.

Sunday 15.05.2011: Barbara returns from Cape Town this afternoon. Ally and I have a lazy Sunday morning. It is quite interesting as Beauty is on her annual leave and I have been doing the washing and a lot of the cleaning which I would normall have left for the next day. Ally made a real effort and completely tidied her room.

This evening I attended a service presented by Hugh Glover. This is a short summary:

Last evening Hugh Glover spoke about some of God's Promises and how to deal with tough times.

Psalm 23
Proves beyond doubt that the Lord is a God of
Rest
Guidance
Care and Protection
Provision
Psalm 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

This Psalm was written by King David at a time of huge TROUBLE.

You will notice that he does not say: "The Lord is my King and Commander; He gives me orders to follow; He sends me into battle while waiting on the throne."

The Lord does not send, the Lord guides. David is assured that when times are really tough the Lord is with him and provides for him.

The Lord has, through Jesus Christ, humbled himself to be a servant to the people who he loves.

Paul writes to the Phillipians about Joy in the Lord: 4;4 "Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say; "Rejoice!"

And Phillipians 4: 11 -14 Paul writes from Prison: "I have learned to be content in all circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry. whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."



Monday morning 16.05.2011:
I started a run but had a sore knee and bailed shortly after the start.

I lost my ID and so could not Vote. Terry Billson remonstrated with me and so I decided to do the honorable thing and go to Home Affairs to obtain my ID. Especially as Bobby Stevenson is in our Cell Group I felt an obligation. So I pack for the morning. I know from previous experience that Home Affairs is worse than a Horror Movie. I take some snacks and a bottle of water plus my book to keep myself occupied during the hours of waiting in queues.

First I have recently heard that ID books now cost the applicant. So I draw some cash to take along. Then as I arrive I move into the caravan taking photo's and pay R50 for four pics. Then off to the dreaded Home Affairs. Here I wait in a short queue for the required forms. I am pleasantly surprised to deal with an intellegent person who is seemingly quite competent. I then have my fingerprints done and back to the counter where I am issued with a "Ticket".

I wait in the Submission of Documents queue. Take out my book for a good read and am shocked when I hear my Ticket Number being called. So Quick? Now I again deal with a competent person who quickly completes some computer work and sends me off to pay the required R280 for an ID plus a Temp ID. Then back to this lady who helps me immediately and I am completely blown away when I realise that the whole Home Affairs visit has taken around 45 Minutes while I had, in my mind, taken the morning off from work. And I had my temp ID so I was now able to Vote.

Today Barbara had to "Put Down" her old cat Sam. He had grown steadily worse and was suffering. He could not eat and could barely drink water. It was his time after a healthy 16+ years.

Rachel arrives in PE for a 10day visit.

Wednesday 18th is local goverment Election Day in RSA. It is a public holiday. ANC win around 70% and DA win around 23% with smaller parties winning between 0.01% to 3.0% of the votes.

Saturday 21st May; Today Ally has Hockey in Grahamstown. We leave at 6.00am with Ally's friend Megan Clarkson. They play DSG and win the game 5;1. It was a reasonably tough game and we were particularly pleased with Ally's game. Barbara and I then went to the Billson's farm which is on the road to Alicedale about 30kays out of Grahamstown. Ally elected to stay with Kerry.

After tea Patrick took us for a ride on the bakkie. Barbara and I sat on the benches on the back. Patrick wanted to feed the Sable Antelope that he has on the farm. It is around 2000 hectares with a variety of game including Springbok, Impala, Zebra, Letchwe, Gemsbok, Kudu, Red Hartebees and plenty of Warthog. We drove around the areas where he thought that he would find the Sable until he had almost exhausted all options.

On the way we found a dead Sprinhbok male. No indication what had caused the death. He gave the carcas to the labourers. Eventually we found the Sable. He has a herd of around 27 adult male and female with one dominant bull. There were also about 12 calves who were being cared for by a large cow in a kind of nursery. When the animals saw the bakkie they came up close as they seem to love the feed (Mielies and Lucerne).

This was a real treat for us as we really did not expect to go driving around the farm like this. Terry had made us a lunch of ham sandwiches. We rushed off to Ally's second match of the day. Ally plays for a Club team: Old Grey Academy with a number of her school friends: Natalie Billson, Caitlin, Britanny, Alexandra etc. We have a little parent support group; Terry and Patrick Billson, Ryno and Shereen, Catherine, Grant & ... Combrink who seem to follow our children around. This afternoon the Old Grey team plays Rhodes who do not have a Goal Keeper. We lose an embaressing 1;2.

Later this evening it was Suzanne's birthday Party. Rachel came with me as Barbara was not feeling up to it.



We walked to King George guesthouse. It was a really well presented evening with Jessica and .... putting on a collage of photo's of Suzanne from baby to present age.




I was able to introduce Rachel to Colin and Marlene McCall, Debbie Derry, Sue and Lex Mitchell, Graham & Cheryl Botha, Dave and wife Ruben who is Suzanne's employer at the pharmacy, Adrienne and Peter Wilson. It was Adrienne's 60th Birthday and they had had a run on the beach this morning with Muffins and Champagne at the end of the run.




Sunday 22nd morning Ally played drums in the music group at church this morning. Rachel came to church with us. It was the first time in a long time that I went to the morning service. I have tended to go to the evening services since Ally no longer attends Sunday School.

The week starting Sunday 22nd I left for Transkei. I left in the mid afternoon on Sunday and arrived in Komga at around 7PM. Horrible driving in the dark along these roads. I should not do this.
Monday morning I leave early for Mthatha where I meet up with Julia Brecht and we drive to Tsolo where the company will be opening a new shop soon. Then to Mount Frere. A really funny thing happened on this trip: I had packed all my stuff except my trousers. I was wearing shorts when I left and completely forgot to pack trousers. So here I am at work on Monday morning in my shorts: I found a small shop in Mount Frere where I bought a pair of pants which I wore for the rest of the trip. From Mount Frere we drive to Bizana where we are able to do a couple of hours work before driving to Port Edward. We stay at the Aloe Inn B & B. Tuesday morning it is back to Bizana then Flagstaff. We leave Flagstaff at 5pm and have a slow drive to Port St Johns. It is only 80kays but takes us around 90 minutes. We stay at the Outspan B & B where Johan Classen, Justin Strydom and I used to stay many years ago.
Wednesday morning we drive to Lusikisiki and then to Mthatha. I leave Mthatha at around 4.00pm and have over two hour drive to Komga where I stay at the Red Valley B & B. Thursday morning I work in East London and then drive back to PE in time for Ally's U14 EP hockey trials. She plays in one game and does not have a good showing: She is very nervous.
Friday -- Office
Saturday morning: Back to sanity as I run the Beach Run with this really good running group: Adrienne, Suzanne, Colin, Gerald & Pat, Andre, Graham, Ben, Susan, Elmarie and perhaps some others. Suzanne takes a tumble as she catches her leg on a Guard Rail bolt. We all cut short as it seems no one is keen for the Admiralty loop.
Today was the first day that I wear long sleeves. The temperature has dropped quite dramatically and there is a Chilly West wind. But still Ben, Adrienne and I have a swim. Awesome!
This afternoon Ally has an Old Grey Hockey match at Woodridge. They have a shocker of a first half and an excellent second half. End up losing 1;3.
Sunday 29th: This morning it is Comrades in Durban. We watch the start and some of the race. Then we do some shopping at Walmer Park where we also have a breakfast. I have marking to do and Ally has some study for upcoming exams. Barbara moves her horse to a new farm.
It is Mia's Third Birthday.





Daniel and Joshua play soccer with Aaron and have a great time. Michael is really up beat about this outing: "This is better than Newlands"


Monday 30th -- Office
Tuesday 31st -- Another Transkei trip to Dutywa and Butterworth. I am trying to do all or as much of my traveling as possible now before Barbara goes to Cape Town and before we take our three week holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment