Sunday, April 19, 2009

TEN KAY RUN AT KINGS BEACH 19.4.2009.

Kings Beach 10kay
Saturday morning 18th April 2009.

Friday evening Charles & Ingrid invited us for supper as it had been Charles' birthday on the 6th but we were all traveling at that time and he decided to have this dinner at a time when we were at home. As we arrived at his home we realized that there had been a power out that evening and that we would be eating by candle light. Charles has an Inverter so he still had power for a few lights. They have a gas stove and had put the vegetables in the Weber. Shortly after we arrived there the Inverter packed in and the rest of the evening was under candle light.

Sean, Diana, Anthony & Lana and Irma and Gerrit were the other guests. Ingrid had cooked us a leg of lamb, pork, vegetables and a salad. She presents it so well and the fact that there was no electricity made no difference. In fact it may have enhanced the evening. Ingrid also made two puddings: crème Brulet and a Flambé. Barbara was not feeling well and had not slept the previous evening. Also I had a run the following morning so we left early. I heard later that they got stuck into some of Charles' Whisky later that evening.

Saturday morning: I had arranged to meet Corne, Ben and Andrew at the beach for a run. I was there at 05.15 to find that it was only Andrew. The power was still off so we had to run in the dark. I was quite tired and this combined with the dark made us take it very slow. We did a short version going up Walmer Boulevard and returning down 2nd avenue. From there I went straight to the start of the 10kay race at Kings Beach.

I paid my R20 which I think is far too much for a ten kay. As I lined up at the start I saw a group of Achilleans. Quite a number of them had run the Two Oceans 56kay the previous weekend. Graham has now run 29 and Bob has 27 of these races in hand. How they keep going and the motivation to train is quite beyond me. Then to be back running races the following weekend! As we started the run, I knew that this would be extremely slow for me. My legs felt like lead.

It was good to see John Kotze back on the road. I ran the first few kays with Ian Thompson. Ian asked what Adventures I have planned for this year. I suppose that I make my life an open book. My answer was that at my age I try to make each day an adventure. However I do have a Fish River Canyon hike planned for July. I also have other activities in my Diary but I think that this would be the big one of the year. Ian left me and I jogged on slowly, first with Gerald H and then just chatting to whomever I was with at the time.

The race is absolutely flat as it takes the runner along the beach front road, past the beacon at Summerstrand and then at the Golf Course, near to Flat Rock we turn and head back the same way that we had come. I was fortunate to meet up with a young Achillean who was running her first race ever. Ancha trains with the Tuesday and Thursday group but today had a bit of an attack of nerves and was battling. This gave me an excuse to run at her pace and we jogged the last few kays together. I did not record my time but I know that this had been a slow time, even for me.

After the run I went home and packed up my computer that was now completely dead for the second time in a month. I took it to the same repair place where I had recently had a new hard drive put in. Cliff, the technician tested the computer and found absolutely nothing wrong with it. Everything was operating as it should. His opinion was that it needed a ride. Back at home the same thing: everything was working 100%. Frustrating. I spent a few hours at work and then went to Grey where I spent the rest of the afternoon watching Grey play Graeme College Rugby. The matches were mainly one sided as Grey completely outclassed Graeme. Charles and Barbara joined me for the last few matches.

Sunday morning: I again met up with Andrew for a short run. Still not feeling as strong as I would have liked. We again cut short at 2nd avenue. Lene had kept us a place in church so even though we were late to get there, we had front seats. Mike Perks had prepared an unusual service: Band, choir, and all kinds of announcements and action.

I had tried to set up a Nippers Morning but that did not work out as no one pitched. We ended up off loading the trailer. I had a few things to buy at Builders Warehouse. I bought Clippers, HTH, Globes. They did not have camping chairs.

We also bought some stuff for the pantry. I made a spaghetti Boglonaise for lunch. Ally set up a Hockey practice with her friends. I agreed to be the adult in the group and ended up as a referee / coach. There were a number of more competent people there such as Ally Mitchley's mom and the Engelke's. The children had a great time and managed to attract about 16 children to this group. We played a few games and sticks as well. We planned it that it should be a regular Sunday afternoon hour of hockey at 15.00 to 16.30. Lets see how it develops. It appears that this was Hanes Zeelie initiative. Amber and Meghan ran with the idea. Ally caught on and phoned some of her friends and soon there was this great group of children there. I remember the following names: Ally, Amber Zeelie, Meghan Derry, Lara Odendaal, Lara Swanepoel, Alli Mitchley & friend, Alli, Oscar, MC and Emelio Burri, Jamie and Kirstie Engelke, Jessica Daniel, Greg Kotze, Shannon and Kyle. I told the children to bring a RED and a WHITE top to the practice next Sunday. This will enable us to split the children into teams.

While we were at Hockey, Mom visited with Michael and Lene. This afternoon we visited the Finestones. Mom has an idea that we are going to put Cathy's Cockatoo there. They have this incredibly huge house with stables, avery, Chicken hock etc. They are a very down to earth family. Philip has made lots of money in his eye practice but this has not spoilt them. They remain earthy people. they have four children, two of the children are presently overseas (Germany) at a school for diving and they stay with the principal of the school. They are learning to speak French and German and they are able to practice Diving at a higher level.

No comments:

Post a Comment