Sunday, February 25, 2007

ACHILLES 42KAY HELPERS RUN SUNDAY 25/02/2007

ACHILLES 42kay MARATHON
Helpers Run. Sunday 25th February 2007.

Running a Marathon is really hard work. I don’t do too many of this distance anymore. In Fact I don’t do too much of any distance anymore.

A helpers run is all about the seconds. Firstly the Hero of the day has got to be Paulette as the main organiser. Then there are all her helpers: Peter, Liesel, Karel and Milka who was out there despite feeling awful that morning, Bradley, Percy, Michael B who I hear has recently joined Achilles, Cathy, Johan on the BMW, Kosima, John on the Bicycle and any others whose names I have forgotten.

The race starts at the Homeleigh Farms complex. As we got there Graham pointed out that we had forgotten to advise the owner that we would be running the helpers run today and he thought that we were intruders as he had had a scare the previous evening. We started a few minutes late at about 05.40 and realised that the dark morning was not exactly conducive to running on the dirt road. Moff has not been running marathons for sometime and he started really slowly at the back of the field.

I felt that we had started a bit too fast but we were running with the wind and overall it seemed to be downhill for the first 9kays. At this stage it was Liz, Graham N, Ian and myself. We had Pat on the bike to keep us company. Pat and Ian have entered the Ironman that would be taking place in a month. Ian was concerned about the run section and this was his confidence booster to assure himself that he can complete the distance. As we ran down Montmeedy road past the riding club we passed Allan and Butch who were also on an Ironman Training run.

We kind of stuck together and saw that Tom had fallen off the group ahead of us. He still seemed to be running strongly and it was a long time before we eventually caught him on the way up Kragga Kamma. Graham would grab a water bottle and go. This put pressure on the rest of our little group to try to stay with him. I am used to having a nice little stop, chat and drink my coke at a leisurely pace. But with Graham setting a cracking pace we had no option but to try to stay with him. I know from previous runs that Liz seems to get stronger as the race progresses.

There was a brisk Westerly wind and this took its toll on me. As we reached Butterfield Road and the first real uphill all morning I was battling to stay with the group. Pat had put on her running gear and was on fresh legs pushing the already tough pace. You can surely picture Pat with that easy long stride she has and the rest of us doing the “miserable marathon shuffle”. “Ah what the heck?” I thought, “Take a walk”. Tom looked horrified and the rest of the group pressed on. I regained my composure as we crested the hill and was able to catch the group. Just before the right turn into Lakeside road there is a farm on the right hand side where we see Springbok. Everyone comments: “This is a great route. There are no real up hills to talk about. The company and the scenery has been good. Running through farms lands and in the country side is such a privilege”.

We then ran together along the Lakeside road. As we passed a farmyard we saw a herd of cows that looked in extreme discomfort as they looked as if they had not been milked for sometime. As we turned right into the road that leads up to the Old Cape Road I realised that I was seeing the last of the group. Liz had told us that she would have to do the shopping that afternoon and that Jock would probably be lazing away at home. The thought made me quite envious.

We still had about 20kays to go and Graham was leading the group to an even faster pace. It was then Left along Cape Road and left again down the Draaifontein road. This was a long tough section for me. We met up with Bradley and I had a squeegee Goo. This gave Tom the break he was looking for and off he sped into the distance. The West wind was into our faces and I was just counting off the kays. I think that this section is about 4 or 5kays.

Then it was left again in an Easterly direction and the wind now on our backs for the next 12kays. It was around here that Paulette drove past. “Where are my Achillean articles?” she demanded. Okay Paulette; well here at least is an attempt. I met up with Karel who had faithfully waited for Moff and myself even though Milka was feeling terrible. I tried a few times to catch Tom but he was relentless and I was walking on a more or less regular basis now. It was about here that the lightening and thunder started and we had a few drops of rain. It was a little scary for me.

Then I was greeted by Peter & Liesel with only 6 kays to go. Doesn’t sound like much but I was tired and had to force myself to go on each time. We turned right in to Lakeside road and I again was concerned to see that the cows were still looking as if they needed milking. Later on I reported this state of affairs to Hannes at Animal Welfare. Bradley was manning the last water table. I stopped for a last rest, drank my water and coke with relish and looked to see if I could see Moff behind me. I had heard that he was not too far behind and trying desperately to avoid the Toilet Seat.

The Toilet Seat is an award given to the last Achillean at our marathon. It had been stolen by Mark Raubenheimer from the ruins of the old Marist Brothers School and he had made this into a trophy. I have been second to last on a few previous occasions. I remember one time when Ron Pask and I had been running together and after a while he left me. He got a bit lost and when I saw him I hailed him to wait. Being the good friend that he is he waited and then with less than a Kay to go I went as hard as I could to avoid the Toilet seat. Then there was another time when I had run with Jock Sutherland and managed to pip him at the post as well.

Anyway I pressed on. Kosima drove past and could see how I was hanging on and called out: “Vasbyt Peter. Be strong” Runners really appreciate words of encouragement like this. Bradley drove past and gave me some absolutely devastating news; Moff had bailed! My heart sunk. Finally the toilet seat & I were to be together for a whole year. “Just joking” said Bradley. Skunk!

The final few kays of this race are a dream; mainly down hill and with the Westerly behind you. I had not really been keeping time. All I wanted was to be able to prove to myself that I could still run the distance in my preparation for Two Oceans which I had bailed the previous year. Across Kragga Kamma Road and into the Homeleigh Farms dirt road. Johan comes past on the bike and says: “I know how you feel Peter”. Mmmm! I am not too sure that he really did at that stage. Anyway on I press and make a grand entrance to the field with the Achilles Group waiting to see if it was to be Moff or Peter who would take the toilet seat home today. I had beaten Moff with a 4H37min time. This may not sound too good to all you young and fit athletes but for me I was delighted to be able to complete a marathon within the time limit.

From there I had to rush off as I am a Nippers coach and we were having a Mini Carnival that morning and I know that Ally would be expecting me to help her. Just as well that I was able to be there as the surf was Huge and we needed all the adults in the water that we could muster. I was not much help in the waves as I was cramping and certainly could not take part in the running.

No comments:

Post a Comment